Axminster TH410 Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolute rubbish, don't waste your money and ask for an immediate refund.

If they won't let you cancel under distance selling regs,have them drop it off at mine. :lol:

Hi Dodge,

if you get fed up with it,you can drop it just down the road to me. :lol:

Nice looking bit of kit,look forward to your review.

Mark

Chippyjoe":37l76jkx said:
Hi Dodge,

if you get fed up with it,you can drop it just down the road to me. :lol:

Nice looking bit of kit,look forward to your review.

Mark
Join the queue mate no pushing now

I was thinking of the same machine. Let us know how it goes.

now this might sound a daft question but do you have to surface one side to thickness (as i do with my planer thicknesser) or can you thickness with two sawn faces.

chopcat":9s34uv0l said:
can you thickness with two sawn faces.

That is dependent upon how flat the original boards are. I buy quite alot of 1" sawn premium quality european oak which can usually be planed directly but I do also have a wide surfacer.

Personally I prefer to have a seperate surfacer and thicknesser in my workshop but am lucky that I have a large amount of space.

Have previously been using a Jet JPM13cs which is now for sale.

Dodge

Well despite all plans it didnt arrive today! :( :(

But I have been promised delivery tomorrow :D :D

So watch this space!!!!!

Dodge

Dodge":1ii0smlh said:
Well despite all plans it didnt arrive today! :( :(

It was blocking my drive when I got home. I thought you'd taken my advice so I've given it a home. :lol:

Sorry Gary - I have it on very good authority that mine is arriving tomorrow.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well it arrived!!! :D :D

DSCF0539.jpg

DSCF0555.jpg

DSCF0557.jpg

Well first impressions are that it is a very good piece of kit, extremely quiet, vibration free and providing an exceptionally smooth finish. It appears very well made.

Only tried on some european oak and some sapele with very twisted grain but results were spot on. Nice to see a good metal infeed roller instead of rubber.

I will put more info on here in the next few days once I have had an opportunity to fully try it out.

Now off to wash all the oil and grease that I got on me trying to get the table clean - it was covered in gunky packaging grease.

So far though very pleased.

Sorry Gary I wont be returning it or sending it to you!! lol :lol: :lol:

Dodge

That looks so nice! Can you get a video at some point, I'd love to see what the noise level is like.

Well you see the door in the background, it is glazed with 4mm polycarb. When the thicknesser is running you cannot hear it standing just outside the door! :shock:

Obviously this is when it is not cutting or connected to a running extractor but still significantly quieter than any thicknesser I have ever had before.

OK so I have had the TH410 Thicknesser in my workshop for just under a week and it has done some quite heavy work in the last couple of days.

Verdict - Excellent - I cannot fault it at all.

Quality of cut is exceptionally fine, particularly being able to adjust the feed speed between 5 and 7m per minute.

I have fitted the optional digital display which has made the setting simple and repetitive thicknessing is superb.

In a nutshell it is a cracking bit of kit and a real gem to have in my workshop.

Another 10/10 for Axminster!

Rog

Ah Rog, i've been waiting for your review as i have been trying to buy a 16" planer for a while now this one seems a very reasonable price and now with your rating it looks like the wallet is going to take a bashing ! How much was the digi display...is it the jet one or axi's own.Regards Squib.

The jet one that Axminster sell with the machine - £28.20.

Sorry to cause you wallet a bashing but I dont think you will complain - Shame you are so far away you could have come and tried mine before you commit.

Rog

Hi,
I know this i a bit of an old thread now, but wanted to say thanks for the info on this, as I am considering the same one...
You must have had the machine almost a year now, have your views changed at all? Anything else to be aware of? Would you still go for this over one of those ones with a helical cutter block that has many small replaceable knives?
Thanks again,

Latest posts

Back