Axminster TH410 Owners - PLEASE READ!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Now I know a number of you out there have the same thicknesser as myself - the Axminster TH410 - well let me start by saying that I have had mine now for a couple of years and I have not been able to fault it in any way.

During use though today had a real "brown trouser" moment - Half way through thicknessing a 24mm thick 380mm wide iroko board that was about 1500mm long, just as it was getting to the end of the cut there was one hell of a bang, the whole cast table assembly fell to the bottom of the casing (i.e. its lowest position) and the end of the board kicked up into the still running cutter block which initially pulled the board back up into the head of the machine before it jammed against the infeed roller!

Having stopped the machine and completely disconnected the power I managed to free the wedged board before I started investigating what had happened!

Basically after finding various bits in the base of the cabinet managed to get the whole thing re-assembled and luckily with the exception of a severely chipped set of blades there was no other damage to the machine.

What had happened was that a small, probably M5 allen key headed screw had worked loose having not been fitted with either threadlock or a lock washer when manufactured - this small screw holds on the plastic cog for winding the table up and down as marked on the picture below:-

Arrow2_zps8b33f9a3.jpg

Basically this small screw holds the whole weight of the centre column, cast table etc and when the holding screw came loose allowed the whole assembly to drop as described.

On re-assemble I also found that the two bolts that hold the casting which the thread runs in to the bottom of central column were also loose - again marked on the photo below - Again these were re-tightened and transpires that the slack in these were causing the thread to cant slightly tightening up the winding action of the rise and fall which had gradually got worse over time but I hadnt really realised was happening. I had put it down to some saw dust in the acme thread.

Arrow1_zps3de55b52.jpg

So please if any of you who have these thicknessers take off the side inspection cover (as shown below) and check the security of both the bolts on the bottom of the column but more importantly the small one which locks the plastic cog to the top of the thread - I refitted mine with threadlock as well as lock washers which will hopefully prevent this from occurring again but I must admit I have put a recurring note in my diary to check it all regularly.

DSCF5890_zpsc0145d8e.jpg

Please in no way think that I am having a go at Axminster, nor saying avoid the machine because it is without doubt the best thicknesser I have ever owned and if it died tomorrow would have no hesitation in replacing it with an identical one, mine had worked really hard over the last couple of years - I spoke with Richard in the technical dept at Axminster and he is going to take this forward with the manufacturer to ensure that future models have these items suitably secured.

Luckily I am not going to have to replace it at this stage - just stump up for a new set of blades unless Norfolk Saw Services can grind out the damage!!

A big thank you Rog. I did inspect my machine today after your warning and found that the bottom two bolts were indeed loose although the small screws were tight. I have taken them apart and applied some locktite with a couple of spring washers to them to avoid any problems. As you have stated it is a great machine but was very surprised to find the gears are plastic. I shall keep a check on them in the future. many thanks for the heads up mate. :D

no problem Allan, thats why I phoned you earlier - interesting to hear that the column bolts on yours were working loose too - Has tightening them made the rise and fall smoother/easier??

Are any readers aware of similar issues with the Axminster Planer Thicknesser PT 106? I have the version with the alloy fence and would like to be fore-warned.

K

graduate_owner":23w2aq91 said:
Are any readers aware of similar issues with the Axminster Planer Thicknesser PT 106? I have the version with the alloy fence and would like to be fore-warned.

K

No problems yet, but I'll be checking it out first thing in the morning!

Hi Roger,

Thanks for posting up the details, i have passed on the info to our servicing guys. Luckily this seems to be an isolated case as this is the first report. If anyone else experiences this problem please feel free to give me a call on 03332 406 406 ext 2039.

Regards,

Hi Roger

Good to speak with you this morning.

I would like to echo yours and Alan's comments that the machine is well worth the money.

But just to let the the other forum users know, when I looked this morning, my machine which is the same age as Roger's had the same problem with bolts not being as tight as they should be.

I have made Richard at Axminster aware of this, and will let him know if it happens again as promised.

But I will say again it is a cracking machine from a great company.

Tom

Checked my P/T 106 this morning.

Access to the bevel gears is much more difficult and would require a major strip down. The height adjustor feels OK, with no play, so I'm guessing there's nothing loose in there. The bolts on the bottom of the column were OK. I always try to remember to lock the height adjustment after each change so it wouldn't drop even if the bevel gears came loose.

The only thing I could find was that the grub screws that clamp the chain sprockets for the drive rollers were loose. Since these sprockets are keyed to their shafts there's little likelihood of this being a problem.

Peter, that's a good tip, to lock the height adjuster just in case. I'm sure lots of other users with different makes of P/Ts could benefit from taking such a simple safety precaution.

K

Back