Axminster router & Table?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nads

Established Member
Reaction score
I was looking at buying a new router and router table, has anyone got any advise for me, I’ve got a budget of only around £300 – 350 for both? I was looking at the Axminster AW127R Router

And this Axminster router table.

If I brought this table would I be better off with the iron or aluminium fence?

Has anyone got or know anything about these two products, are they any good? Or coulder advise me on anything better?

Thanks Guys

personally, if i was purchasing with that budget. I would go for the triton router as this has all the height adjustment needs built in and is a good solid router.

For the table, make your own. I think they work better if you make your own to be honest as they can be built into existing units or made multifunctional

Andy

Have to agree with Andy, the Triton router is superb and will give you all the adjustment you need - it is made for table use.

Making your own table is not too hard (several detailed on the forum) but the Trend ones seem to get decent reviews

Hi Nads

IIRC that router doesn't get billiant reviews. A number of people on here, Noely and Frank at least, have the Freud router 1/2" and at about 170 pounds that's pretty good value.

I have the original Trend router table called the Tradesman, I think, and I find it to be good for me right now. As Andy and Tony suggest there's not much to making your own. However, Tony did buy an Inra fence. :mrgreen:

HTH

Cheers
Neil

I have the axminster router table with cast iron fence.
The cast fence is off a spindle moulder they use to sell very sturdy and accurate and easy to adjust.

The legs are coming off this year and a proper cabinet is to be made as the legs only, are wasting valuable tool storing space. :wink:

Cheers

Which model of Triton are you talking about, how does the cost compare to the Aximinster, as I really only want to spend £300 odd for both the table and router itself? And as the table I was looking at is 190, that only leaves me about 100 or 150 at a push for the router?

Sawdust Producer,
Which router do you use in the Aximinster table?

Make one. You may find a few on the forum already. I Made a quick one from 2 pieces of 18mm MDF, did the job until i made one out of Ply.

It's alot of money to spend on a table, and once you decide to make one, you'll be happy that you did. The router is the most important item here and you may as well spend the money on that. Tables can be upgraded with little components when you need them, routers can't.

Another thing about the triton, is the height adjustment. You can't so this with a standard router and this will mean more expensive hardware if you don't make your own adjustment device.

Andy

Nads,

I have that router and I must say it is not one of my best purchases - I have it mounted in a wolfcract table, which I am also unhappy with - to be replaced by a Norm style table when I get a chance and at that point I will certainly be changing the router as well.

The issues with that router as I see it are - extreemly noisy, the fine adjuster does not work well when the router is in the table as the weight of the router is too much to make adjustments easily, the fine adjuster does not thread down far enough to have any action at the "bottom" of the plunge stroke - would not be a problem except that I lose alot of depth because of the table set-up I have, the plunge lock has slipped on a number of occxasions on me. I would certainly echo others in saying get a decent routre and then build your own table - I've seen very simple tables used with great success, and you don't have to have a bells and whistles fence at the start something homemade will certainly do to get you going - If you try to get everything for th £300 I think you may end up where I am - with a pretty shoddy set-up, but one I am slow to change because it is there and I have other priorities!

HTH
Les

Someone mentioned this router table from Woodford:
http://www.woodfordwm.co.uk/acatalog/Router_Tables.html
Looks pretty good for the price. Then you just need a 1/2" Router - Ebay often have old Elu 1/2 routers (MOF 177 typically) - they can be had for under £100. Add a fine height adjuster for £10 (Trend do them) and an Xtreme Xtension and you'll be sorted!
If you do make one yourself - it needn't be complicated. Just get some (flat - need to check) kitchen worktop and rout a recess for the router and attach it directly. The stand is more effort - but not much more. Make sure you add a NVR switch too. A fence can be just two bits of MDF glued at right angles to each other.
Cheers
Gidon

Sawdust Producer,
Which router do you use in the Aximinster table?

The big freud, it comes with a fine height adjuster

One thing I forgot to mention on the cast iron fence that there is no scale to read off for fine adjustment, but that is not a problem

Nads

Make a router table from 3/4" ply with 18mm MDF top and make a fence form 18mm MDF with trinagulated supports at the rear and it will last you for years.

The Triton si a bit over £200 but worth every penny - the router is the most important bit after all

Nads, are you going to the AP show in a few weeks. I could help you out for a bit of mdf and some laminate for the table top.

I think the trend is a good option too.

Andy

LyNx":3bo42f1l said:
I think the trend is a good option too.

I can't remember the review but, personally, I would go for the Triton as it was made to be table mounted.

Even the air vents are geared to being upside down so that as little dust as possible actually enters the vents.

Cheers
Neil

Back