Axminster Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyW

Established Member
Reaction score
That's a slightly upmarket version of the lathe model I started with and used heavily for two years.
As long as you are prepared to accept its price point and regularly service the Reeves Drive, remove dust, grease the motor shaft pulley mechanism, dry film PTFE lubricate the headstock pulley and adjustment mechanism, check the latter for any loose grub screws and linkage, for me that was about once a month routine but depends on usage.

Only ever change speeds when spindle is turning, even if it's only by hand, saves stressing the mechanism, as the gear cones need to rotate to let belt move along the cone.

The provided chuck is perfectly acceptable as a match for the lathe.

Chas,
If I open another thread in turning would you care to go into detail ?
My lathe isn't an axminster but it looks like the same thing. Under the delta label

Thanks Chas (I think!).

Sorry if I'm being stupid. I take it, due to its much cheapness, you need to regularly service it? As things will go wrong with it. Or that's the maintenance routine for all lathes?

Jonny

I've just parted with a predecessor of this lathe (Axminster M 900) which I used for nearly 16 years without any problem until fairly recently. You can see my FTAGH posts but as I cost me £359 16 years ago I'm not going to complain.
Everything that CHJ said, it is a good solid and basic lathe and an ideal one to start turning with as you can do spindles, bowls and outboard turning.
If you have a look at the price of chucks and accessories then the actual lathe and stand doesn't really amount to a huge investment as if you decide to upgrade you can usually keep your chuck (not sure if the drive thread is still 1"x 8tpi).
Be a little bit careful with the tool rest extension for outboard turning, especially with irregular stock. I managed to snap mine off (cast iron!) which did cause me to say "Oh Dear" or a similar phrase.
Stating the obvious I know, but it is large. Obviously 1000mm between centres but there is the headstock and you will need space either end so just make sure it will fit.
I've never been a member of a woodturning club (had a brother in law who was a turner) but I would echo most people's advice in that it's probably worth a least one visit just to see what other people use and recommend. It may be slightly more expensive in the short term but better in the long term?
As a new turner, always keep a saw in your car for when you see branches down!

Glynne. Thank you for your reply. Really appreciated.

I've ordered a couple of books and a DVD. So will do some studying.

I'm not new to woodworking, but I am to turning. I see it as the next phase and essential step in my woodworking hobby if I'm ever to progress into chair/furniture making.

Thanks again. Appreciated.

Jonny

JonnyW":1n9godph said:
Thanks Chas (I think!).

Sorry if I'm being stupid. I take it, due to its much cheapness, you need to regularly service it? As things will go wrong with it. Or that's the maintenance routine for all lathes?

Jonny
There is nothing wrong with the lathe design, there are thousands of clones around under different badges, just finish and basic quality spec. levels determining final product 'polish'.

Servicing:- due to the design and shall we say value engineering of these machines you can expect a longer trouble free life if you bother to service it, it's a mechanical gearbox in effect and it needs correct (limited) lubrication and works better and gives longer belt life if the dust is vac'd out occasionally.

Some folks have got away for years without touching the drive mechanism, from the time they bought it until they sold it on, others wish they had taken the trouble after a couple of years or so when linkages start rattling or jamb or the drive cones seize.

Yep I agree Chas and thanks for the sound advice.

If you don't listen to the experienced, then don't ask the questions.

Thanks again

Jonny

I have an AWVSL1000.

Bought 4 years ago as a first lathe and no problems apart from some grub screws disappearing into the sawdust - replaced without question FOC by Axminster.

I would rate it as a good value basis for trying both spindle and bowl turning, but not without its limitations. The reeves drive is noisy compared to a conventional belt - drowns out the radio but not ear defender noisy. The swivelling headstock can take pressure off the back when hollowing - but the high minimum speed means that even slightly unbalanced blanks over 12/14 inches are unsafe due to vibration. The tool rest extension is too flimsy to provide a solid rest with a swivelled headstock anyway. Standard of finish is adequate only rather than good - but to some extent you get what you pay for.

I am now thinking of upgrading quieter with a proper variable speed - possibly the new Record CL4. But this is going to cost £6-700 (with stand) more than the Axminster.

Terry

Latest posts

Back