Axminster Heavy Duty Wood Rack

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Can't really think that there might be anything wrong but just thought I'd check for any feedback before ordering.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axminster-Heavy-Duty-Wood-Rack-32411.htm

010003_l.jpg

Hi Roger,

Coincidentally, I'm also intending to install a timber storage rack but have yet to purchase/fabricate a suitable system. At what distance are you planning to space the uprights?

Cheers,
C

The straightforward approach will be to stick to the existing spacing here (not my choice of spacing, I hasten to add, but the cheapskate alleged builder who built the outbuilding) which is roughly 600mm

workshopwall.jpg

Or the not so-straightforward which would be to mount plywood to the wall and then choose whatever spacing I needed.

To be honest, I'm drowning in all sorts of lengths of wood and this racking will be to try and get some semblance of order for the longer stuff.

I'm also tempted to find out how much it will cost to pick up that lovely 3 phase from the pole.

I use Spur (or equivalent) and have 3 uprights and various size brackets. I can't remember the spacing off the top of my head but I do know that there are numerous bits of wood for which the spacing is often too wide!

I also screw upstands to the front of mine to stop bits falling off.

matt":18m14jns said:
...but I do know that there are numerous bits of wood for which the spacing is often too wide!
That is exactly what I'm concerned about.

RogerS":18m14jns said:
I'm also tempted to find out how much it will cost to pick up that lovely 3 phase from the pole.
FYI, you probably already know this, if that pole is on your land and feeds any of your neighbouring properties then you are entitled to a small rental payment from the utility company. I get ~£75/annum for two poles (one has a transformer).

I'll shut up now,
Chris

chris_d":36ln6fnt said:
matt":36ln6fnt said:
...but I do know that there are numerous bits of wood for which the spacing is often too wide!
That is exactly what I'm concerned about.

The solution is called a 'shelf'!

EDIT: Damn..beat me to it!

What's the longest Spur arm available, Matt?

To be honest, Chris, if it's that wet, I'd be tempted to put it in stick on the floor in as high a pile as you can go. That way, at least all the ones lower down are benefiting from the weight of those above - to try and keep it all flat while it dries.

EDIT: Just checked out spur sizing and price and while they go up in size, as long if not longer than Axminster, they seem to be double the price.

Thanks Matt.

Think I'll go down their route. They say each bracket can handle 80kg. Any cause for concern that this doesn't hold - literally and metaphorically?

I have no reason to doubt spurs claim but the weak point in any of these systems is the screws and rawl plugs holding it to the wall (just ask WiZer :lol: )

if you are really going to load 80Kg + on it you need to use expanding bolts to put it up - but personally if its that heavy and wet i'd just pile it in stick on the floor

big soft moose":3tl193ws said:
I have no reason to doubt spurs claim but the weak point in any of these systems is the screws and rawl plugs holding it to the wall (just ask WiZer :lol: )

if you are really going to load 80Kg + on it you need to use expanding bolts to put it up - but personally if its that heavy and wet i'd just pile it in stick on the floor

Mmmm..see my picture above but I wasn't there when builder erected the softwood framing so maybe I'll run along the top of the frame with the Paslode.

RogerS":106ecj6y said:
Thanks Matt.

Think I'll go down their route. They say each bracket can handle 80kg. Any cause for concern that this doesn't hold - literally and metaphorically?

I don't to tempt fate but I'm currently sitting at my desk and above me is 3 shelves packed with books and a fourth with misc stuff on it. All just under 8ft long and all hanging of 4 uprights with varying depth of bracket held to the wall with normal screws and plugs.

The brackets in the garage are similar, albeit with wood and tools on it.

The only caveat that I would add is that the longest brackets with books on is 27cm so the leverage is not quite the same as anything larger.

One other thought has just crossed my mind... The longer the brackets the larger the section as the wall end - thus cutting in to space on the lower shelf.

big soft moose":1tgc0bn9 said:

Yep Pete beat me too it. I have spur shelving all around my workshop. One set came crashing to the ground last month and it wasn't the spur that failed it was the screws in the wall. IMHO they are better in timber than masonry. When I put them back up I'm going to double the amount of screws in the spur and put them into 2x4's that go down to the ground.

big soft moose":13y45u0q said:

Rawlplugs - Maybe most of you guys are too young to remember them but it used to be possible to buy fibre Rawlplugs which were the genuine article and, IMHO, much superior to the plastic or nylon ones available now.

I really wish it were still possible to buy fibre Rawlplugs but I understand they've now stopped making them :(

David

wizer":1kjd0kt3 said:
big soft moose":1kjd0kt3 said:

Yep Pete beat me too it. I have spur shelving all around my workshop. One set came crashing to the ground last month and it wasn't the spur that failed it was the screws in the wall. IMHO they are better in timber than masonry. When I put them back up I'm going to double the amount of screws in the spur and put them into 2x4's that go down to the ground.

Blimey. How many uprights did you have and across what span? What was the length of the brackets?

Back