• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Axminster front vices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

TomB

Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone have first hand experience of any of the Axminster front vices?

Are they any good? They look very similar to those sold by Veritas and Rutlands, are they all produced by the same manufacturer?

Thanks,
Tom

jvc26

Reaction score
Yes, I have the quick release one. I was led to believe the Axminster ones are made by York.

Been happy with mine.

msparker

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm pretty sure they're York vises (and are sold under more banners also). I think if you ever see 'Made in Europe' (rather than Germany or something) or 'Made in Czech' then its York. I've just bought the german made one from Dieter Schmidt fine tools and whilst I dont have the York comparison, it seems rock solid! The threads are massive as well, so even though its no QR its very quick.

TomB

Reaction score
Yeah I'm pretty sure they're York vises (and are sold under more banners also). I think if you ever see 'Made in Europe' (rather than Germany or something) or 'Made in Czech' then its York. I've just bought the german made one from Dieter Schmidt fine tools and whilst I dont have the York comparison, it seems rock solid! The threads are massive as well, so even though its no QR its very quick.
Ah that’s good to know, I wasn’t aware of that website. The vices look ace.

After I made the original post I came across an old Parkinson’s Perfect Vice (1930s?) in a junk shop in Louth at handy money, so for the time being I have fitted it to my bench. I’m not exactly enamoured with it though as there’s loads of play in the mechanism. I quite like looking at it though (picture below).

Once Christmas is out of the way I’ll probably fit a new one, either an Axminster job or one from Deiter Schmidt.

Thanks to both of you for replying, it’s much appreciated.

Tom

Attachments

Latest posts