Vice confusion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molynoox

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm going to build a workbench and I've decided I would like a vice.
I don't have any experience of vices, other than seeing other people use them.

The vices I like are these ones:
2022-10-02 18_53_07-Sjöbergs Junior_Senior wooden viceWorkbench _ Axminster Tools.jpg

...just because I think they look cool. Probably not a good reason, but without any experience I don't know what I need from a vice anyway.

So looking on Axminster website, I don't actually know what I need to buy. Pretty sure I'm being a bit thick here, but do I need something like this:

vice 2.jpg

....and then add the wooden jaws myself?

The other option I looked at was this one:

vice3.jpg

any thoughts?

Link to vices:
vice 1
vice 2

thanks
Martin

The first type is what I would call a "workbench vice" and the second a "woodwork vice" although I learned long ago not to get too hung up on names.

Personally I've always preferred the latter because of the greater clamping depth, the workbench types are limited pretty much to bench dogs, but if you want something that folds flat or keeps under your bench top clear for some other reason they may be a better option. Apart from that I've never seen the attraction to be honest.

The first type is what I would call a "workbench vice" and the second a "woodwork vice" although I learned long ago not to get too hung up on names.

Personally I've always preferred the latter because of the greater clamping depth, the workbench types are limited pretty much to bench dogs, but if you want something that folds flat or keeps under your bench top clear for some other reason they may be a better option. Apart from that I've never seen the attraction to be honest.
Yes the Axi vice - or better still the Record original, are best by far. The Record 52 ½ vice or the 53 even better

If it were me I’d be looking to get a second hand record/Parkinson etc of the second type. No particular reason other than I like older tools better and they will probably will outlast some of the modern ones sold by Axminster and other outlets.

For that money you’d get a Record 53E or 53 1/2E. Now that’s a great vice, it’s the one I hung on my bench after looking at various. They come up on auction and market sites regularly

I think the first is a bit 'form over function'. They can be useful as a tail vice fitted to one short end of the workbench but as others have said the Record 52 1/2 is a great vice. They do come up on eBay but try and find a quick release (QR, also known as E) 10" version, although as Paul Sellers says a 9" will do most of what you need to do. On Vises Part I - Paul Sellers' Blog

Also check Facebook marketplace, I bought my 10" 52 1/2E in excellent condition for £40 last year.

Cool thanks, that's the info I was looking for.

Can somebody explain to me why the old record is better than the shiny new Axminster one? They do look pretty similar to me, and from what I hear the Axminster one works well?

Thanks
Martin

I dont like that set up of having the inner plate proud. If you flush it into the board, you can get a better clamp pressure on long pieces.
Yes, I totally agree. The reference was aimed at his vice recommendation not the way he mounts it in this article. There are videos on YouTube that show how to flush mount one.

Back