Axminster front vices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomB

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have the quick release one. I was led to believe the Axminster ones are made by York.

Been happy with mine.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they're York vises (and are sold under more banners also). I think if you ever see 'Made in Europe' (rather than Germany or something) or 'Made in Czech' then its York. I've just bought the german made one from Dieter Schmidt fine tools and whilst I dont have the York comparison, it seems rock solid! The threads are massive as well, so even though its no QR its very quick.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they're York vises (and are sold under more banners also). I think if you ever see 'Made in Europe' (rather than Germany or something) or 'Made in Czech' then its York. I've just bought the german made one from Dieter Schmidt fine tools and whilst I dont have the York comparison, it seems rock solid! The threads are massive as well, so even though its no QR its very quick.

Ah that’s good to know, I wasn’t aware of that website. The vices look ace.

After I made the original post I came across an old Parkinson’s Perfect Vice (1930s?) in a junk shop in Louth at handy money, so for the time being I have fitted it to my bench. I’m not exactly enamoured with it though as there’s loads of play in the mechanism. I quite like looking at it though (picture below).

Once Christmas is out of the way I’ll probably fit a new one, either an Axminster job or one from Deiter Schmidt.

Thanks to both of you for replying, it’s much appreciated.

Tom

Attachments

• 75874FD8-639D-44AF-B900-815CCAA0818B.jpeg
    75874FD8-639D-44AF-B900-815CCAA0818B.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 41
Yes, I have the quick release one. I was led to believe the Axminster ones are made by York.

Been happy with mine.
I can confirm that they are York vices. I recently bought the large quick release vice and the installation instructions have the York logo on them.

Just an aside is it normal to have that much jaw pad above the vice?

The reason I ask is that I want to beef up my 18mm plywood bench by adding either scaffold boards or 2x timber on top of the ply?

I could then just extend the vice cheeks deeper.

Cheers James

I have the Veritas one, bought a few years ago now - I don't remember the Axminster branded ones being available then. Anyway, they're pretty much the same I think; can't fault it.

Just an aside is it normal to have that much jaw pad above the vice?

The reason I ask is that I want to beef up my 18mm plywood bench by adding either scaffold boards or 2x timber on top of the ply?

I could then just extend the vice cheeks deeper.

Cheers James

No probably not, though if that’s your only option then try it and see how it works. My feeling is that it will put extra racking stress on the vice mechanism and knacker it over time.
I’m not sure about the vice in question so it’s just on temporarily. I didn’t want to drill holes in the apron straight away in case I end up changing it for a different one in a couple of months. If I decide to keep the vice I’ll fit it properly a bit higher.

Latest posts

Back