Axminster Flexible Shaft Carver for Dremel etc.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Dyball

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently purchased a flexi-drive for my Dremel and posted a few pics. of a small pierced bowl I tried it out on.

I'd also like to have a go at carving decoration onto bowls etc. and am thinking of buying an Axminster Flexible Shaft Carver tool. As I understand it this converts the Dremel's rotary motion into a percussive action.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/4/product-Axminster-Flexible-Shaft-Carver-for-Multi-Tools-20003.htm

Just wondered if anyone here had experience of this, or indeed anything else suitable for my plans?

Cheers,

Neil.

hi neil
saw this demonstrated at my club last week, it is definately worth getting if you want to do decoration on bowls etc.
One good thing about it is all you have to do is guide it along your chosen line, as the purcusion pushes it along, takes out a lot of the hardship.
I would like one myself, but at about £60 complete with cutters its not that cheap.
have fun.. :lol:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info. It's actually only £33 ish for the starter set which includes the drive and 5 assorted chisels, which isn't too bad. I'm not sure what shapes/sizes they are as I've zero experience of carving. Wether I'd ever need to purchase the extra 4 chisels is one for the future.

Cheers,

Neil.

Neil Dyball":22w0y42f said:
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info. It's actually only £33 ish for the starter set which includes the drive and 5 assorted chisels, which isn't too bad.

Cheers,

Neil.

hmm, actually that is quite good, i didn't know it came with chisels.

I bought the Axminster Flexible Shaft Carver Tool about a year ago as part of a kit that included Axminster's own version of a dremel & the flexible rotary shaft as well , and and am quite please with it. The supplied chisels are quite large so I also bought a converter which lets me use my existing Flexcut chisels with it. It's really easy to use and makes carving harder woods so much easier than doing it by hand. Having said all that I've not actually done any carving on turnings yet aside from using a very small v-chisel to sign the bottom of a couple of bowls.

tekno.mage

i've got one neil and i found that the hand piece gets too hot to hold after a while- i prefer the proxon machine which doesnt use a flexy thing.

Hi Tekno/Corcucopia,

Thanks for the input.

This will be a bit of experimenting for me and £125 for a Proxxon is probably a bit too much of a gamble. How long would you estimate it takes for the flexi-drive to "heat up"? Also, the Proxxon looks quite large to hold for a long period, which is partly why I bought the Dremel flexi-drive originally for piercing, do you find it comfortable for long term use?

Cheers,

Neil.

hmmm maybe 10 minutes for the flexi to warm up to a uncomftyable stage.
and yes the proxon is bulky but i find it fine for long periods of use.

pm me your addy and i will send you the flexy to try if you want? all i ask is you cover the p&p

Back