axminster drum sander for sale

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan Tovey":3obfhco4 said:
seanybaby":3obfhco4 said:
10 karma points to Dan :lol:

That made me smile, Sean!

You see, it is indeed karma that I should have my photos appropriated in this way.

When I was starting out on my own some years ago I had a few gaps in my portfolio which I filled temporarily with images I found online. Starting a small business is far from easy and most people find themselves having to pull a few strokes in order to get established. Read up on the likes of Alan Sugar and Richard Branson if you're not sure what I mean!

So I'm not about to condemn Chris for what he did.

The difference is that I 'borrowed' some images from obscure and faceless websites in America and Australia, ensuring that I was pretty well certain to get away with it. Needless to say they were replaced with photos of my own as soon as I had some.

I wouldn't have dreamed of nicking them off a discussion forum of which I was a member. That's a bit like going through your friends' pockets in the changing rooms.

I also think Chris could maybe have shown a little more contrition and humility when caught out! The daft thing is that if he'd have asked me I'd have let him use them anyway. No skin off my nose.

It made me laugh actually, that anyone could be that cheeky and that dumb.

I was tickled Pink!

Cheers
Dan

Lol.

Ps What time do you get up?? I see lots of your posts are at this 'middle of the night' time.

Matty,

Dan sat up all night waiting for Pinky to remove the pictures from his website.......I don't think pinky went home last night, they are still there.

Paul

As woodworkers, I think most of us get inspiration from people who are better than us whether it be in design, or application of working as in our case in wood. Occasionally we copy, sometimes we improve.
But hopefully none of us that use this forum, that has even a tiny shred of integrity would use another members work and pass it off as his own.
It is simply dishonest. A Plagiarist of the worst form.
Caught at college or university he would be thrown out on his ear or at least shunned by his peers and contemporaries, as we should do here.
I think the Moderators should ban him.

John. B

Mattty":2oxqob3z said:
Lol.

Ps What time do you get up?? I see lots of your posts are at this 'middle of the night' time.

I'm normally up about 5am and in the workshop by 7. I spend the intervening time with a succession of mugs of tea in front of the computer undisturbed by my sleeping family.

Bliss.

As you can see, I've had a bit of a lie-in this morning.

Cheers
Dan

5-7am - best time of the day, especially in the summer.

Cheers

Karl

Dan Tovey":21p5z5ta said:
seanybaby":21p5z5ta said:
10 karma points to Dan :lol:

That made me smile, Sean!

You see, it is indeed karma that I should have my photos appropriated in this way.

When I was starting out on my own some years ago I had a few gaps in my portfolio which I filled temporarily with images I found online. Starting a small business is far from easy and most people find themselves having to pull a few strokes in order to get established. Read up on the likes of Alan Sugar and Richard Branson if you're not sure what I mean!

So I'm not about to condemn Chris for what he did.

The difference is that I 'borrowed' some images from obscure and faceless websites in America and Australia, ensuring that I was pretty well certain to get away with it. Needless to say they were replaced with photos of my own as soon as I had some.

I wouldn't have dreamed of nicking them off a discussion forum of which I was a member. That's a bit like going through your friends' pockets in the changing rooms.

I also think Chris could maybe have shown a little more contrition and humility when caught out! The daft thing is that if he'd have asked me I'd have let him use them anyway. No skin off my nose.

It made me laugh actually, that anyone could be that cheeky and that dumb.

I was tickled Pink!

Cheers
Dan

Dan - FWIW, -- your post here says something really 'good' about you.
Hard to put the exact finger on it ( in a good way !! :lol: ).. but it does.
Respect to you.

The other fella there, Pinky ... he's made an error of judgement a bit.
He did have the words "Sorry Dan" a bit further back... perhaps could have re-inforced that a bit more though... and 'acted' upon the matter.

His error may be down to naievety, being a bit "short sighted" in the metaphorical sense, or whatever....

Gut-feeling is that doesn't everyone deserve a bit of a 'second chance' when they slip up ?
Maybe he doesn't want that - its hard to say....
A good public apology would go a long way to helping, Pinky .. if you do want that...

I guess all I'm suggesting here is 'don't be just too overly hasty in pulling a trigger'... if that makes sense.

Everyone needs a bit of a second chance with things now and again.
its real easy to get something wrong... not so easy to get everything right.. you know ?
Just a thought :)

I've had this happen to me too. A designer has put my work on her website saying that she designed it managed the project and used her craftsmen. She even subsequently contacted me to see if I would do some work for her.
It's flattery really but she's not capable of drawing and her own designs are laughable. I would have made the stuff she wanted and asked her for a spec. She sent one email saying cabinet required and the dims and then sent another saying oh yeah 2 doors. No colour, material, handle details let alone a design!

I'm sorry Jenx, I think you are being a little too christian.
I've noticed any post from him is either nastily critical, or something to sell, he just uses the forum to see how much he can get from it, not how much can he contribute.

John. B

I disagree, I think Dan's alright, sometimes critical sometimes complimentary and I've only seen one item he's posted for sale.

Fair comment John....
( although very seldom referred to as 'christian' ! :D :D :D )

Just thought 'maximum benefit of the doubt' n'all ...
-- you will 'understand' my thinking I'm sure... I made mistakes in my 20's & 30's, that I wouldnt make now in the 40's ... and will no doubt be saying a similar thing in the 50's and beyond , if we manage to get there..

The lad did something 'ill judged'... for sure.

Well I take my hat off to Dan for being just to cool about the whole matter....
But Mr Pinky`s wet apology to wit he would remove said pictures from his website as soon as he got home, are still on there as off tonight @ 23:10...so much for his integrity and apology....

once again Dan, way to cool about this.

perhaps pinky is just a bit young, and out of his depth a bit starting up? I am not about to excuse his actions, but blimey Dan, what a compliment! I mean; he wouldn't have used MY work as an example!! I wish I was good enough that he would!!

FWIW I think that pinky is probly a little young, a bit lost and confused, and maybe a bit simple? And ashamed. I have never done this in particular, but I have done things wrong, things I am terribly ashamed of, and I would point out that his reaction is only human. So, if Dan is big enough to cope with it......

Now I'm gonna go back to my shed and my B&Q toys, 'cos I gotta build a .....hang on, oh.....

Neil

lurker":2emm6igf said:
:shock: :shock:

Dan you are a very tolerant bloke!!
I'd have hit the roof if someone "passed off" my work like that.

Pinky, you aim to annoy whenever possible don't you sunshine?
If you will stoop to that, god knows what your work is like.
If I were a moderator you would be looking at a ban!!

I dont think dan is the only one either - if you look at the kitchens page the third picture down (with the grey units) looks very familiar (Just to be clear it isnt mine - but i'm sure ive seen it on here before)

you'd really do well to start again with the website (which incidentally still has dans pictures on it) pinky , not everyone is as nice or as tolerant as dan. If they were my pictures you'd be hearing from a solicitor.

Hi,

I've been lurking on this forum for a while now and after reading this thread and doing a bit of Googling I thought I should post this.

I'm assuming that the spam trap will mangle this link (could a mod sort it out?), but does any of this look familiar? http://www.eccabinets.com/Kitchens.php

Cheers,

Drea

Back