axminster bandsaw awhbs450n

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hello Richard from axminster, can you tell me if you have any nearby barnsley that I could look at?
thanks
joe

Hello Joe, pleased to report that the bandsaw has given me satisfaction, using this machine more often than the previous saw I owned.
I am running the saw at 600rpm. so the tensioner has not been brought into operation, which I think comes in if I changed the belt position. I am happy at 600rpm because there is so much power available that I have no wish to change.
Did the usual put in a new blade (Tuff super fastcut) and last week I produced a board which would have been satisfactory without planing or thicknessing just sanding would have been sufficient. I expect the board was in a good mood.
If its the price range you want to work with, I can recommend the machine myself.

It might be better to PM Richard of Axminster, he comes to this forum purely as a private member with our forums interests at heart. Not as a commercial consideration.
So look back at his post and click PM icon.

Thanks for the reply, the reason i was looking at this one was the price/spec seems really good, its going to be used in a charity workshop so will probably get more use than a home workshop but less than a trade workshop, axminster give it a trade rating, do you think it would stand up to it, is the build quaility good? bearings, fences, adjusters, casing and fasteners etc.?
Another worry that I had when reading the Axminster catologue was that they specified that the bandsaw accepts blade sizes from 10mm(3/8") / 30mm(1.2/10") yet they only supply blades from 1/4" to 3/4" in this size, do you buy your blades from axminster?
sorry for asking you so much, but your the only person that I can find on the web who owns one.
I'll pm richard aswell.
thanks again Joe

The machine quality is satisfactory at its price because it cuts timber, if you paid £1500 you would expect higher spec. such as fence extensions etc.
Tuff Saws have a larger range of bandsaw blades than Axminster I should think and many members here support them because of the friendly and helpful advice and quality we get there. (they supply the 30mm blade but I was informed its difficult to get the tension required on such a wide blade and anyway the 20mm blade will cut the same as the larger one.)

Charity workshop use I have no experience but bandsawing needs skill and manipulation such as pressure and guidance to steer timber past blade etc. so your decision is required for that one.

What about them saying it will only go down to 3/8" but they supply a 1/4" blade, whats the narrowest blade that you have used?
Joe

I have not put in my 3/8 blade yet, and cannot see why a 1/4" blade would be a problem because there were some ammended bearing spacers supplied if you see Richards post.

I am satisfied with the operation of saw and its capacities, quality could be higher but that is reflected in its price.

Axminster stirred me up yesterday, they sent me an offer on this saw at £150 less than catalogue price so you know it should be a bargain if you ask for the lower price.

I will not buy anymore machinery from Axminster unless they make a gesture, I will negotiate with other suppliers when buying again in the future.

I have this bandsaw and have used it correctly and incorrectly for a few years! Just recently it has developed a vibration in the upper wheel which means the blade oscillates forward - backwards affecting the cut. Has anybody else had this problem and found a cure and if so, what is it, please?

Back