Axminster AWC4 250mm DeLuxe Combination Machine. Bought

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

La Gib

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

i'm new here. Been watching and reading for a while now, finally decided to say hello.

Been working with wood for about fifteen years now as a hobby and sometimes with work.

Anyway recently I have been looking to buy a combination machine. I was looking at a robland machine but the smallest size machine only had one speed on the spindle moulder. The next size up had three speeds but was getting a bit big for my workshop.

I went to Axminster tools just to look at the AWC4, I had no intention of buying it cause I was not sure of the quality. But when I seen what it had to offer I was well impressed.

The sliding table was free runing and not at all flimsy.

Ther rise and fall mechinism on the spindle moulder was very positive and felt like quality.

My main requirement was a good size surface planer. The planer on the combi, just like the saw table, is cast iron as is the fence. It is a good size as well.

After a discussion with the sales rep I discovered that there were three machines in the company and a delivery charge of about £70 would be charged. Also there would be a 3 to 4 week wait.

I suggested buying the one they had in stock and they offered me a 5% discounted as it was ex display, although it had never been used. I decided to call head office, Wycombe store manager was on holiday, and asked for a better discount. they agreed on 10% and as I was going to pick it up I also got around the delivery charge.

£1710.50 and I had it in pieces in the back of my van. £190 discount and no £70 delivery charge. :lol:

Although they frown upon it in the shop. It was easy to separate into two pieces. six allen key nuts hold the planer/thicknesser onto the main unit. Once that has been done i needed to disconnect the cable.

Will update more soon.

Cheers Alan

bearing in mind the fact that there was loads of people to help me into the van. I now had to get it out. Total weight 370kgs

I built a platform with four castors on and raised the main part of the machine onto blocks and slid the platform underneath.

Then built a load of ramps and dragged the beastie through our hallway, the dinning room, the living room, the french doors, over the decking, down two more steps, down the garden path and into the workshop. It weighed around 150 - 200 kgs at a guess.

After removing the planer tables repeated the whole process, a bit lighter though.

That took me up to about mid day and I spent the rest of the day putting it all together again.

There is a fair bit of adjustment available to help get the machine level and square, and all and all i am over the moon with it.

The fence had a few niggles but after spending a half hour on it it was a lot better.

Still haven't wired it up to the power yet and knowing my luck it wont work.

I have no experience with a spindle moulder, other than knowing it is one of the most dangerous tool, but will now go and search through previous posts to gain some useful knowledge.

Does anyone else on the forum own one of these machines or has anyone used one before.

Cheers Alan

Yes Riley.

Through the house.

Actually it wasn't that bad once I got going. :D

I used one pair of locking swivel castors and one pair of non locking swivels, in hind sight I would switch the non locking swivels for fixed. reason being it would tend to skew off on the ramps.

Cheers Alan

Hi all

A bit more of an update. The machine comes with a rail fitted about mid hight under the sliding carriage, the rail is to support the mechanism that is attached to the outrigger table. I found that the rail did not allow for whole distance of travel of the sliding carriage. I happened to have a long section of extruded aluminium that was fitted in place of the supplied item. I have increased the cutting capacity to around 52 inches in old money.

Has anyone else got this machine, if so can you tell me what distance of cut you can achieve using the sliding carriage?

According to axminster the the sliding carriage travel is 1400 but by the time I fitted the supplied support rail and miter fence this was reduced quite a bit.

I spent a long time getting the levels of the table correct and have been pleased with the results.

I still haven't started the machine up but there is a good reason for that. I'M SCARED. No thats not true, it's because if I don't set it up properly now, I never will and will end up struggling with an in correct machine.

When i'm in woodwork mode I get frustrated if things aren't set up right.

Last thing I done this evening after work was to give the surfaces a run over with an oily rag.

Please feel free to comment or give any advice as this is my first thread on this forum.

Cheers for now

Alan

I am not familiar with this machine. I hope you get on well with it. How big is your workshop?

There are a number of spindle moulder users on the forum so I am sure someone will offer you some advice on this aspect of it.

Good luck. I am interested in your exploits.

Mick

Hi all.

I finally had the machine up and running today :lol: . I used the saw and sliding table. The blade in the saw is an all rounder but it give a good cut on MDF. I didn't rise the scoring blade just the main blade and I was really pleased. The sliding table is great very smooth and precise.

I will try the planer tomorrow and give you an up date.

Cheers Alan

Hi all.

Still no pictures yet but have been busy making stuff with the new machine.

The sliding carriage is the business. It has allowed me to cut sheet materials so easy. Using the saw in rip mode is great as well. Still haven't tried cross cut cause the blade is more of a general purpose rip blade. It does have a scoring blade and although it is known to be useful whilst cutting laminated sheet goods, I wonder could it be helpful for cross cutting with a general purpose blade. If anyone has experience in this area let me know. would be a pain to have to change the blade every time I switch from rip to cross cut.

I have used the planer thicknesser and it cuts with serious ease. Although I was only working with 4 x 2 sawn it done a cracking job.

What i used it for will probably make a few of your eyes water.

I have a load of nice reclaimed timber from loft conversions. I bought a hand held metal detector similar to the type security people use. After de-nailing the timber I swipe it with the metal detector. You will be suprised at the hidden nails and it even beeped when I went over a tiny panel pin that was buried in the wood.

Once denailed I planed + squared a face and an edge then put it through the thicknesser. Brilliant finish, well pleased.

So far so good. Still haven't used the spindle moulder but it's next for the test.

Cheers Alan

Hi Alan,

How are you getting on with your combi-machine?

i was thinking of getting one so I'd be interested to hear how it's going.

Cheers.

Back