Axminster AWBS Bandsaw - Any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goose

Established Member
Reaction score
I was originally looking at the smaller baby brother to the AWBS, the AWBS2 (See discussion here: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35825 )

I may be able to stretch my budget to now afford the AWBS, which is effectively £100 more. Anyone own and use one of these? Is it worth the additional £100 in terms of quality and capability.

Its smaller baby brother seem very popular and for my envisaged needs for small model making etc it looks perfectly adequate, but I am wondering if there is an advantage to up-sizing to the next step?

Cheers

John

Hey John

If you have the time and inclination you could get a secondhand band saw from somewhere like ebay.

I picked thisup a couple weeks ago.

Hi mick,
I have been keeping an eye on ebay but sadly the one in my price range and size needs I have seen are often too far away from north wales/cheshire to be of real consideration as most are collection only.

I am keeping an eye out as I am still deciding.

But I also think it would be nice to have a warrenty etc with a new machine and the axeminster customer services I am reliabley informed is very very good.

Hi goose,
i recently bought the awsbs which looks similar to the awbs apart from the 750 watt motor and base cabinet.
I'm very impressed with the accuracy.I took 10mm off a deck board at 125mm deep and it didn't fall below 9mm in an 8' length. :D

The models we have are Axminster rebadged Jet JWBS-18Q Bandsaw, and 2 Jet JWBS-14 Bandsaws. All 3 are poor. I can use bandsaws and set them up to run and cut very well, but these 3 are poor and will not cut without blade drift, a straight line is impossible.

Well, I have a SBW 4300 and I cannot fault it.
It will cut very large stock, I've put 11" logs through it, it cuts straight, without wandering, I've also cut 1/8" thin slices off 8" blocks.
So I have no moans at all. :lol: :lol:

John. B

John. B":95b7lsfr said:
Well, I have a SBW 4300 and I cannot fault it.
It will cut very large stock, I've put 11" logs through it, it cuts straight, without wandering, I've also cut 1/8" thin slices off 8" blocks.
So I have no moans at all. :lol: :lol:

John. B

Ditto... :wink:

I have been offered a local SIP 14" 01489 bandsaw, apparently it still in its wrappers but 2 years old. Company bought it, but havent unpacked it.

Do people rate then as a good saw?

Yeah, the SIP saws generally aren't bad for the money (I've had the 12in. model for over two-years now). With a decent blade, they'll cut almost anything you throw at it. If you plan to do a lot of deep resawing though, I would always recommend something bigger with larger motor and greater RPM.

As I don't (yet!) own a table saw, I regularly use mine to rip 3in. thick hardwoods for table legs - it's all about blade selection. :wink:

Of course, these saws are produced to be sold at a price and, therefore, they don't have some of the features as found on higher-end bandsaws, including; quick-release tension lever and rack-and-pinion table tilt to name two. If you're a hobbyist then, it should serve you very well. :)

probably the most vitally important component I think is the 'Blade'. I have used blades from Axminster which were good,
although I'm not sure whether all their blades are 'Excaliber' or just the bimetal M42's.
I've also used blades from Hamilton edge which are good blades. at the present I'm using a blade from 'Trucut' which so far has done what I've asked of it.
Next year I shall be on holiday in Georgia USA and will be calling in on 'Highland woodworking' near Atlanta,
with the intention of getting some of their legendary Woodslicer resaw blades. We'll see just how good they are. :lol:

John. B

Sadly the SIP I was looking at, turned out to actuall be a non runner. Dead!

So now back at the start of my search again. Keep seeing saw on ebay but they are all too far away from me to viabley collect.

If you get a good one, and I did, then OK. My brother has just returned two. Both supplied with incorrect blades. Even the correct blades failed to cut without slipping. Their attitude and customer service was pathetic. I will not order from them in future.

Well the SIP was a non starter and now it appears that axminster have stopped doing the AWBS all togather now. :(

Anyone know of any good machine dealers in the cheshire/manchester/wirral part of the world. I keep seeing lots in the south, but delivery etc is usually prohibative.

Anyone know any good ones in near chester or about 40 miles of it? I want to get a good look at any saw I finally get and so far, its proving a night mare.

Who would think buying a saw would be so bloody hard..

Anyone know of any good machine dealers in the cheshire/manchester/wirral part of the world.

Can't see any bandsaws on their Website.

Worth a phone call.

Woodford Woodworking Machinery & Tooling Limited
Unit 13, Long Field Farm Ind Est
Woodford
Stockport
Cheshire
SK7 1RB
England

Phone: +44 (0)161 439 5683
Fax: +44 (0)161 439 0582
Email: [email protected]

Mike Wingate":3ljriqv6 said:
The models we have are Axminster rebadged Jet JWBS-18Q Bandsaw, and 2 Jet JWBS-14 Bandsaws. All 3 are poor. I can use bandsaws and set them up to run and cut very well, but these 3 are poor and will not cut without blade drift, a straight line is impossible.

Can't comment on the Jet, but after setting up my AWBS2 and fitting a decent blade, I regularly cut 1/32" veneers without any problem.

Well spoke to axminster today.. very helpfull chap.
Basically the AWBS is no longer being stocked, it has gone.

They have two new beasties..
The AWHBS350N and AWHBS310N due in around the 9th of Dec.
No info on their website yet.
But prices should be £385 inc vat + postage and £293.25 inc vat (no postage).

You can see the manuals here;
http://www.axminster.co.uk/downloads//211531_manual.pdf

Now I am back to square one again.. The choice seems to be coming down to the new axminsters models above v the Record BS300E. But the record is a fair chunk more pricey.

The Record BS300e can be had for the same price as the more expensive Axminster there, someone advertisers them on that internet auction site.

Back