Axminster AWBGDL bench top grinder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyechem

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... 789070.htm

Sorry is this has been covered thousands of times before. I don't understand the difference between the two wheels. Is it as simple as the white one produces a smoother surface? Is it correct that a chisel sharpened with either wheel would still have to be done by hand on a sharpening stone to finish it?

I am looking for a better way of sharpening my chisels. I have a sharpening stone of some sort, but having watched a couple of youtube vidoes I've realised they're still not as sharp as they could/should be.

Thanks, Iain

ok, the grey wheel is 40 grit and is used for shaping more than grinding. It will sharpen mower blades and take the heads off bolts but not much else. The white wheel is 80 grit and will make a good job of grinding your primary bevel on chisels and plane blades. The white wheels run a tiny bit cooler which is also a benefit and also it's wider. You're right in that the grinder is just the first step. You still need to go on to a stone or scary sharp (sand paper). I'd recommend looking into scary sharp if you are just starting out. Have a look at the 3M Papers on the Workshop Heaven site and if you need a honing guide then I highly recommend the Veritas MKII.

Sharpening chisels and plane blades. on a bench grinder :shock:

Not for me , way to aggressive , on a Tormek water cooled slow speed yes or by hand :lol:

Thanks for the advice. The Scary Sharp kit looks interesting. What sort of grit is needed to get a good chisel edge which won't blunt too quickly? There is a 4 sided diamond stone on Axminster which goes to 600 grit, compared to the 6000 grit of the Scary Sharp. The diamond stone is only £10 though, making it more tempting given my lack of sharpening experience. I'm a big fan of buying the best quality that you can afford, rather then cheap rubbish, but I also don't want to spend money on something my skills don't yet justify.

Back