Axminster AW355WL Lathe.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Wild

Reaction score
My Axminster lathe has just died. Started to slow down to a stop then resstarts when I applied tools to the wood.
Following day, no power.
Contacted Axminster tools and they are sending a replacement electrics box. But I want to know what is the problem?

And I though I was going grey, seems like a blonde moment. The replacement " electrics box " should sort your problem, I would say motor issues are less probable but if these manufacturers want to add electronics for speed control and display then don't go absolute bargain basement because it should be a reliable design considering speed control is now a well matured technology.

But I want to know what is the problem?

Unless you have an electronics background and some test gear, also assuming the circuitry is not encapsulated then you won't get down to component level and it is highly likely that the circuit is based around a processor which makes things more difficult.

And I though I was going grey, seems like a blonde moment. The replacement " electrics box " should sort your problem, I would say motor issues are less probable but if these manufacturers want to add electronics for speed control and display then don't go absolute bargain basement because it should be a reliable design considering speed control is now a well matured technology.

Unless you have an electronics background and some test gear, also assuming the circuitry is not encapsulated then you won't get down to component level and it is highly likely that the circuit is based around a processor which makes things more difficult.
Thanks. Axminster have just confirmed they're sending a replacement electrics box

New Control Box arrived today. Lathe back up and running.
Hope to get a report back on the broken one once they have inspected it.

My Axminster lathe has just died. Started to slow down to a stop then resstarts when I applied tools to the wood.
Following day, no power.
Contacted Axminster tools and they are sending a replacement electrics box. But I want to know what is the problem?
Hello,
There have been a lot of reports of these machines braking down and if you look on a Bay one can see many advertised as broken needing repair. I had the idea of sell my old Thyme machine but very glad not to, I simply love it, it must be 40/50 years old and runs like new,
Regards

I was thinking of a AC355wl on ebay but can't see that it's running. Now I'm doubtful about making the purchase. The bed looks rusty etc but I thought it would clean up.

Back