Axminster AW106PT Planer/thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nordave

Reaction score
I have one of these machines and have lost/mislaid the spanner to remove and insert new blades.
Axminster do not have stock and have today quoted me a delivery period of 12 - 16 weeks!
Has anybody found themselves in a similar position, if so how did you resolve the problem, I need to insert
a set of replacement blades sooner rather than later.
Any help would be much appreciated.

I am not familiar with the model, but As you said spanner, is it just a flat spanner or a special sized one?
Regards Rodders

Nordave,
Looking in the downloaded manual from Axminster, it says to remove or change the blades you need a 5.5mmx7mm A/F spanner which I translate to double open-ended spanner 5.5mmx7mm.
Which from ebay there is a King Dick of that size for £0.99 + £1.50 pp (I doubt it will get many bids) but it runs out Sunday.
John. B

I have a question with regards to these blades, i inherited one of these machines which isvin a terrible state. There was not a nut, bolt, screw or metal surface that wasn't rusted. The blades were stuck in and i had to knock the bolts out using a straightbpunch and hammer. Axminster dont have the bolts in stock and wont until February/March. Anyone know if i can replace them with normal steel hex M6 bolts?

I have one of these units.

Assuming mine isnt a different revision, i just use a small spanner from my tool box.

Im not a snap-on fanboy, but my main metric spanner set are the snap on stubby ones, but im sure other brands are equally as applicable!

Tip from me -

Ive got some of those magnetic blade setting jig things. If you remove the springs from under the blades, it makes the whole setting process very simple with them.

(i never had the setting jig that would have come with the machine, which is probably what the springs are really for)

I have a question with regards to these blades, i inherited one of these machines which isvin a terrible state. There was not a nut, bolt, screw or metal surface that wasn't rusted. The blades were stuck in and i had to knock the bolts out using a straightbpunch and hammer. Axminster dont have the bolts in stock and wont until February/March. Anyone know if i can replace them with normal steel hex M6 bolts?

Its my memory that they tighten out to hold the blade, right?

In that, i suspect anything thats short enough to get in place, long enough to work, and got a head on it that gives purchase against the blade would work.

A lot of bolts have writing on the heads, ie are not flat. You, i guess, may want to sand that off, making vaguly sure they are all more or less the same weight, but, really balancing wont be an issue - more just that you need to be sure they have flat ends to press against the blade.

Assuming im remembering it all right - its not the most exciting task changing the blades, so its not like i keep it in my memory perfectly.

Back