Axminster AH-1218VS or similar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doofusme

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Wanting to downsize from my bigger lathe and was thinking of this, anything to look out for on these,
Also what is a comparable machine, looking for 2MT and 1" x 8 thread for compatability with my existing chuck and centres
and VS if possible.

Opinions please ?

Regards

Phil

Doofusme":18470a0p said:
Hi all

Wanting to downsize from my bigger lathe and was thinking of this, anything to look out for on these,
Also what is a comparable machine, looking for 2MT and 1" x 8 thread for compatability with my existing chuck and centres
and VS if possible.

Opinions please ?

Regards

Phil

Hi Phil
Just sent you a pm as I'll be selling my Jet 1014 soon though possibly not what you're looking for.

i have one and i like it but it's my first lathe so have nothing to compare it to! it's been used pretty much every day for 9 months without a problem.

if i chose again i'd probably get one that allowed for slightly bigger bowl turning but not by much.

also i have problems with chatter when i try to turn spindles but that is probably more me than the lathe.

oh and axminster customer service is great :)

Thanks for that tinyminds, what size chuck do you have on it and do you find there is enough power from the motor?

Regards

Phil

quote="tinyminds"]i have one and i like it but it's my first lathe so have nothing to compare it to! it's been used pretty

much every day for 9 months without a problem.

if i chose again i'd probably get one that allowed for slightly bigger bowl turning but not by much.

also i have problems with chatter when i try to turn spindles but that is probably more me than the lathe.

oh and axminster customer service is great :)[/quote]

like i say i have nothing to compare it to but yes i find the motors power to be good.

i have several chucks including a masterchuck ii & multistar duplex, around 4"/5" diameter? nothing very big.

I have just bought one as my 3rd lathe. I'm very impressed with the quality and ruggedness, far better than my previous Clarke lathe. The motor, although advertised at 500w is actually 550w......so a bonus there :D
Nige

Nige52":23c9f71i said:
I have just bought one as my 3rd lathe. I'm very impressed with the quality and ruggedness, far better than my previous Clarke lathe. The motor, although advertised at 500w is actually 550w......so a bonus there :D
Nige

Thanks Nige,

I have now purchased the axy 1218vs and very pleased with it too, turned a few lidded boxes and spinny tops, love the VS and the size is perfect for what I want to achieve, got a nice Jet 1014i with extension bed in the for sale section now.......

Regards

Phil

As for chucks....I have only ever bought one, and that is the Charnwood Viper 2. I bought extra sets of jaws for it at £15 each, and today have bought an 8" Bowl reversing plate. The chuck is 70mm so not a big one, and as has been said before, I have never had another one so don't have anything to compare it with......but it appears to work very well, and do everything I ask of it no problems......:)

Latest posts

Back