AWGB 11th International Seminar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I got the opportunity to meet Mark Hancock today at the Malvern Spring Garden show. Very friendly and was good to meet him. His work is also very impressive. Not sure how he makes his 'toast racks'.

While chatting he gave me a leaflet for the AWGB 11th International Seminar. You can find more details at www.woodturners.co.uk. Of course I went straight to the booking form this evening only to find out it costs £215 for three days. I know this is quite a reasonable cost for a three day event but can anybody really afford this?

Just interested to hear if anybody would consider such an event.

Dave

I went about 4 years ago...

total immersion in woodturning... it's not cheap but I enjoyed every minute ...

I'd be going again this year (great opportunity to see turners you're unlikely to see otherwise) but the dates clash and for some unfathomable reason wassername would rather go on holiday :cry:

Hi Dave.

I was at the last one, 2005. Fantastic 3 days, but yes it is expensive, and I found that while there I was buzzing, as was my mind, with all the fantastic examples of woodturning. Meeting some of the 'greats' was also a eye opener, I didn't, but I could have spent the whole weekend watching Binh Pho. His work is out of this world.

BUT, although I took many notes and quite a few photos, once I had been home 2 or 3 days it all seemed to blend into a blur. It was so intensive that I found I just couldn't hold all the information after a while. I'm not going this year, but I may go back in later years. As you say the cost is quite a bit, and if you need full board it can set you back almost £350, that will buy an awful lot of other stuff.

Hi Dave

It was good to meet you and put a face to the name.

Regarding the cost of the Seminar it does appear a lot at first glance. But for the price you will get to see at least 22 diiferent presentations (programme allowing) over the weekend. Many if not all of the international turners you won't see at any other event in the UK.

I first attended in 1995 and although it was a struggle to justify and lay out the cost at the time it was the best money I've ever spent on turning :!: . It was certainly the turning point (every pun intended :lol: ) in my turning career. I can credit that Seminar with the development of my Drop Series which eventually lead to the Journey Series (toast racks :lol: ). I haven't missed a Seminar since.

You just get such a wealth of information that you won't get from any other source. The presenters this year are so diverse that every area of turning is likely to be covered from the traditional/conventional to the artistic/sculptural.

I'd never heard of Binh Pho so I just googled him and looked at his gallery Don't know wich is more impressive, the turning or the art work. Certainly waaay beyond my skill (at the moment)

Pete

I don't think he has ever got to Exmoor Pete. :lol:

All these galleries are the same when you look at the display pieces, 'one of these days'.

Would these seminars be beneficial to newbies. :?:
It's taking me all my time now to take things in :?
Not sure if i like these pieces of painted art turnings.
Woodturning to me is seeing a nice piece of wood as the end result,with the varying grain pattern and differing colours in the wood itself,not a piece that as been beautifully turned and then painted :roll: Could be anything underneath.Just my opinion. :shock:
Paul.J.

Hi Paul.

I think anyone would benefit from seminars, you can choose what you watch, but as I said I was totally overwhelmed after a while.

Like you I love seeing the figure and colour of wood, but most of these painted/coloured pieces are using Sycamore and similar, so I don't think we are missing much. I also like colour, and texture on finished articles, but only on the right wood. It just adds another technique to your turning.

Just my opinion. :)

Back