Auriou rasp - not exactly a review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Frank very good for an early morning! :lol:

Mike. Welcome to the forum. I used to lust after a Nicholson before I found I could get something like the Auriou rasps. Before that I had only seen hand cut rasps sold as antique rubbish - totally destroyed by age or use.

Don't sell another son, just train them to do a bit of grunt work with needle files, they'll get the curves you need eventually and it will teach them a useful trade. :)

I find the Auriou are great.Theyr'e kind of addictive,you can't have just one.I bought my first one 8-9 months ago and since then I've gotten 7 more(rasps and rifflers).
Now that I have these rasps I find I'm looking for ways to integrate shaping into all my projects.The coarser ones remove wood at an amazing rate,and the finer ones leave a surface that needs very little sanding.
I find Auriou very easy to control because they do remove wood so easily.With the cheaper rasps I've used it's always a battle between removing what you want gone and keeping what you want to keep.The Aurious remove wood with a finesse that makes this balance easy to achieve.
They are expensive,but then again so are LN and LV planes.Any well made tool is going to command a price for the attention to detail that sets it well above the rest.
Brent

Hi Brent,
Where did you get your rasps from?
Frank
(gleaning over his possessions, wondering what he can sell...)

Hi Frank,
I got them from Joel at Toolsforworkingwood.If you've never delt with him Frank,I've got to tell you he's great at dealing with Canadian orders.
Brent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back