Auriou hold fasts, worth it or not?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prayers have been answered,
I'm now the super prowed owner or a pair of holdfasts that where made by Richard himself :)
These where offered to me by a ukw member... Thank you so much
I couldn't be happier.

All the best
TT

Great news Toby, we are holdfast brothers!

Agreed chaps, second image is a super one. Thin bench tops, not a holdfast in sight, planing with the grain, no tool well, planes a plenty!

G S Haydon":2dwi3aej said:

Agreed chaps, second image is a super one. Thin bench tops, not a holdfast in sight, planing with the grain, no tool well, planes a plenty!

And paper hats all round.

G S Haydon":iyrqs5g6 said:

I'm well chuffed that I'm going to own a pair of Richards HF :))))))

TT

Get a few snaps together and rough dimensions and take them to your local blacksmith.
I did this with some large draw-bore pins - he was really good value and also pleased to have the job as he 'd never heard of them before. £15 each. Technically about the same level as a hold fast.
http://www.blackdragonforge.co.uk/
His website is impressive (the royal "we") but it's just one man (Dan) in a shed.
I was going to go back with some holdfast ideas as he was into that too but I haven't got around to it

Beautiful work (and I like the dragons, too). I wonder how they reinforced the brick pillars - they rather let the side down, and I wonder how long they'll last given the weight of the gates - huge sideways force at the top hinge.

I also wonder what they cost, given the time and materials involved. Obviously, since I want to know, I couldn't afford them!

It's an interesting thing though: whilst I find ostentatious displays of wealth unpleasant in one way, on the other hand, without that patronage we wouldn't have a lot of craftsmanship and beautiful design and engineering any more, just mass-produced items.

To me it's a paradox.

Thanks Jacob I have a project that I would like to attempt that could really benefit from draw boring. I definitely didn't want to spend out on some of the ones I've seen so will definitely bear these guys in mind.

Eric The Viking":1asfzt0t said:
I wonder how they reinforced the brick pillars - they rather let the side down, and I wonder how long they'll last given the weight of the gates - huge sideways force at the top hinge

Using the people as scale, they're not particularly big gates and they'll not be as heavy (to lift) as they look.
They are secured at the top with a strap hinge and this will have been sunk into the wall with ridges forged into it to resist it pulling out.
Of course which we cannot see is that they may have drilled through the pillar to pass a length of threaded rod through to be secured on the other side as well. They look to have additional support from the gate shoes which are connected to the automation motors. :)

Latest posts

Back