Aurio bites the dust - zut alors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a real tragedy in tool terms. They are unquestionably the best rasps around. Mike Hancock had quite a few, last time I saw him at DaveL's bash. Probably worth getting in touch with him at Classic Hand Tools if you need any - or even if you don't want any now you will want one or two sometime in the future!

Was really saddened to read that - the rasps really ARE that good :(
Hope Michel can sort out his labour woes and maybe start up again?
Philly :D

What a pity.
How can Mike's prices be so much higher than the US sites when the rasps are made in France and he is one of main distributers?
Cheers
Gidon

its called competition

in the usa there is big price competition on many things

their maxim appears to be

whats the competition selling it at?
can we do it cheaper?

here the maxim is

negotiate an exclusive importer deal to exclude any possible competition
refuse to sell to any shop that gives discount
refuse to service any tools not imported by us
whats the absolute total maximum price we can get away with

When I did my MBA (and in France) it was continually hammered into us that most businesses go out of business not due to lack of sales but due to cash flow problems, and those can appear even to very mature companies like Aurio. So you must always guard against that the order to cash process is the most important one you have

This is a very sad case of that of course, as Philly said let's hope he manages to resurrect it and keep that wonderful skill alive. (or is this yet another gap in the market Tom Lie Nielsen will fill, he certainly has the attention to detail to pull it off.)

gidon":2ojkfeyy said:
What a pity.
How can Mike's prices be so much higher than the US sites when the rasps are made in France and he is one of main distributers?
Cheers
Gidon

Mike sells cabinet makers rasps..

175 x 20 x 4mm Grain 12 - £48.50 or £41.28 before VAT
200 x 23 x 4.5mm Grain 11 - £52.60 or £44.77 before VAT

Tools for working wood sells...

7" long - grain 12 (175 x 20 x 4) ($78.95) when you add 10% sales tax $86.85
8" long - grain 13 (200 x 23 x 4.5)* ($88.95) when you add 10% sales tax $97.85

Now if you could really get $2.035 for your pound you might save a couple of quid.

Are Mike's prices high when compared with the US? I think not...

PS: I have 3 - all from Mike but I buy all my L-N stuff in the US.

Really sad to here about that. I have a couple of rasps and a set of carving tools bought from Mike and was very impressed with them

Thanks Phil for the pricing comparison. Looks like Tools for Woodworking has already sold out of their popular rasps since I looked (few asterisked tools left). When I compared the prices on the popular rasps they were significantly higher at Classic Hand tools - hence my post.
Cheers
Gidon

A bit off topic I guess, but....

It is a pipper to deal with French employment law. It is almost impossible to get rid of employees full stop. Industrial "situations" can signal the end for even a successful company.

I've heard this so often it is unreal. I work for a multinational who recently had to shed 10% of the workforce. The European centres are split between France and Scotland. Total biting the bullet in Scotland 27. Total biting the bullet in France 0. :evil:

I'm all for employees rights etc but it can't be great for attracting investment in French jobs.

mrbmcg":3u31uv7r said:

It is a pipper to deal with French employment law. It is almost impossible to get rid of employees full stop. Industrial "situations" can signal the end for even a successful company.

I've spent the last 3 1/2 years renovating my house in France, the first 2 years I was there all the time. France at present is the same as the UK was 35 or 40 years ago and Nicolas Sarkozy is a French Thatcher, that's why a lot of "workers" dislike him so much.

The 35 hour week and the 2 hour lunch break needs to become a thing of the past if France wants to be successful.

Cheers,

Chris

mrbmcg":1mcqw3yi said:

The 35 hour week and the 2 hour lunch break needs to become a thing of the past if France wants to be successful.
Sorry if this comment is a bit political, but surely it all depends on what you mean by "successful"?

dickm":3fejaub1 said:
mrbmcg":3fejaub1 said:

Sorry if this comment is a bit political, but surely it all depends on what you mean by "successful"?

I mean - being able to to self supporting without aid from the rest of us in the EU and yes, I know that France is a net contributor to the EU at this time.

This thread started with the demise of a long established French tool company because of stroppy workers. IMHO, the 35 hour week has pushed prices up and reduced the quality of service companies used to give. A lot of people now work 4 1/2 day weeks and do 1/2 a day "working on the black", reducing the amount of revenue to the government.

Many French people dislike the 2 hour lunch they think its outmoded, inconvenient and not cost effective.

This isn't the forum for prolonged debate on a subject like this, so I'll leave it there.

Back