August Challenge ( A item of jewelry )Post entries here.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
August 2011 Challenge ( item of jewelry)

Our New Judge for August will be Richard Findley

( Rules /Requirements / Judges Criteria )

This months project is to produce an item of Jewelry

This item can be any of the following: -

Finger ring
Bracelet
Necklace
A pair of earrings
Brooch

The item / Items must be lathe turned and made of wood
Any wood type
Any size
Up to 3 different wood types will be allowed, but not multiple segmented work.
Colouring carving piercing and Pyrography will be allowed

Judges Criteria
Richard has said he will be looking for: -
Well-designed and turned items
Made to a suitable scale,
Well finished with a suitable hard wearing finish,
The items must be usable, practical and fit for purpose

NO Critique or comments on any work until September Please, After the Judging and results.
Please state the wood type used if known and a little about the techniques applied when producing the jewelry item (this helps the judge)
The Judges decision is final.

Please post 3 images / photos of your work
1 the item next to a tape measure / to give a sense of scale or of the item being worn (Richard would like this photo if you can find a willing model)
1 looking down on the item from above
1 close up of the item

Image size please use image size 640 x 480 0.3 mp, same as previous months

Please notify me your entries are ready by 10 pm on the 27th August after this time the thread will be locked

Entry’s to be uploaded from 10pm on 27th August up until 10pm on the 29th August after this time the thread will be locked for Judging

Results will be given on or before 31st August

My entry for August is a cherry bangle. To give it strength I took the square blank, sliced it into 3 and glued it back to form a plywood blank with the center section at 90º. Turned to size on a screw chuck so that I could reverse it to get both faces correct. I then turned a groove on each side to the size of the inner. This was so that I could mark and dril the Celtic knot out.

Then parted of to form the base blank and the inner face turned by holding it in my new toy, 250mm Axminster button jaws. The pattern was then finished by sanding from 150 to 400 grit with thin strips of abrasive, celulose sanding sealed and 2 coats of melamine laqure. Finally buffed with carnuba wax. My initials and the initials of the young lady who wil have it as a Christmas present were pyrographed on the inner side

Bangle2.jpg

Bangle1.jpg

Bangle4.jpg

Hi

Here is my contribution. I am not sure what the wood is, I bought a pack of 6 exotic timber blanks. The first one I used was wierd as it was forming little cracks all over as I turned it. No. 2 was looking good until handed to my wife to try on and she was unsure whether it was a bracelet or anklet as it was ever so slighly (understatement) on the large side!

Third time lucky ...

It was turned as if I was doing a bowl doing the outside shape and excavating most of the centre, then reversed on expanding jaws and turned the other end. Final internal sanding included being a toolmaker. I turned a spindle then put it partway through the bandsaw to make a slot. remonuted it on the lathe with different grades of abrasive slotted in as a giant flapwheel. It worked.

On to the decoration...

This one is based on a Viking design.

Having turned it I struggled to mark it out because of the colours of the wood. However, overcome that and carved it out but again fell victim to the wood as the design did not stand out. So time to try some new techniques. I can now claim to have added paints and jewellery to my repertoire. It was sealed and finished with microcrystalline wax and an evening of rubbing it to polish it up!

DSC01572.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

here's this months winner :wink:
i found this challenge particularly ....er challenging. i dont know why but just couldnt get my head around it so a very simple entry for me this month.
Olive ash and finished with 3 or 4 coats of sanding sealer and a quick hard wax polish.
started with 4x4x2ish blank on a screw chuck, turned outside and about a third of the way into the inside leaving the centre in so i could reverse on the screw chuck after finishing outside. reverse and part from inside front face. home made flap wheel to sand out tool marks from inside, then finish sanding by hand, bit more, bit more, bit more, bit more, bit more, bit more,etc
(it was quite tough to finish :shock: ) ahem.

bracelet1.JPG

bracelet closeup.jpg

bracelet on arm.JPG

Attachments

• bracelet on arm.JPG
    bracelet on arm.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 1,424
  • bracelet closeup.jpg
    bracelet closeup.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 1,424
  • bracelet1.JPG
    bracelet1.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 1,424
Here is my entry for the month, a simple pendant necklace made out of African Blackwood and Oak.

Finished with sanding sealer and a melamine laquer which was given a light friction polish. Maximum diameter approx 16mm and 25mm long.

This one was quite a tough one for me, my other half has been making jewellery for the last 25 years so a very tough audience. She likes it and said she would actually wear it, so no matter what happens the competition I am quite chuffed.

Now back out to the shed to get some wood on the lathe that I can actually grip using my chuck!

Good luck everyone!

Attachments

• pendant1.jpg
    pendant1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,388
  • pendant2.jpg
    pendant2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,388
  • pendant3.jpg
    pendant3.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 1,388
Earrings for the blond. Turned a small dish and did the ring stuff and the texturing stuff. Then parted the dish off and turned a small scrap with a dome to fit the dish and attached the dish with 2 sided tape. Turned the bottom of the "dish" . Cut the dish in two and used my oscillating belt sander to shape the rest. Done in black walnut with Danish oil. Buffed on the ONeway system and after using wheel 2 with the white diamond, there was a bit of residue in the ring and textured area. I liked the silver effect against the black walnut, so I left a little bit in the grooves and sprayed with lacquer . Went to a local crafts shop and picked up the earrings wires in copper and installed them. Thanks. DK

Attachments

• P1010735.JPG
    P1010735.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 1,379
  • P1010744.JPG
    P1010744.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 1,379
  • P1010745.JPG
    P1010745.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 1,379
This is my contribution started with 4x4x2ish blank on a screw chuck,
turned outside and about a third of the way into the inside leaving the
centre in so i could reverse on the screw chuck after finishing outside.
Reverse and part from inside front face. The wood is sapele finished
by sanding from 150 to 800 grit with thin strips of abrasive,
2 coats celulose sanding sealed and 2 coats of melamine laqure.
Finally buffed with microcrystalline wax

100_3330.jpg

100_3295.jpg

100_3293.jpg

Oh well, rules is rules and all that but as I won't be the only one who didn't announce he was ready, I will post and leave it up to Allen and the judge to accept or not.

My wife is a gardener and we have just imported a load of ladybirds to eat some pests. After seeing a bowl on WOW with a bug or two aboard, I put the two together and made a brooch.

The 'plate' is box as is the bug which has been painted with gouache and acid catalyst lacquered. The brooch is attached with a large safety pin let into a slot in the back - it just clicks into place. I also made some earings but as there is only one thing allowed I had to choose.

The bug was turned round of course and sliced in half with my Japanese pull saw. I have the scars to prove how sharp it is. I was going to make two matching but the other one had a knot in the wrong place and sadly, only has half a nose :(

Attachments

• 100_2659.jpg
    100_2659.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,358
  • 100_2649.jpg
    100_2649.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,358
  • 100_2646.jpg
    100_2646.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 1,358
Hi All

Braclet made from Yew finished with sanding sealer, coat of Melamine and finally Woodwax.

Braclett001.jpg

Braclett2004.jpg

Braclett2002.jpg

Dave

Another Brooch - not sure if laser cutting is allowed but enjoyed doing it anyway, turned back side and then double sided tape to turn the face. Laser cut the inlay, PVA glued in place and then back on the lathe to lightly sand and finish.

brooch (1).JPG

brooch (2).JPG

brooch (3).JPG

Attachments

• brooch (3).JPG
    brooch (3).JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,310
  • brooch (2).JPG
    brooch (2).JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,310
  • brooch (1).JPG
    brooch (1).JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,310
Hi,
Here is my entry, a necklace in 3 sections.
Top and bottom sections ebony, with melamine finish.
Middle section, made in 3 parts: beech semicircle with applied gold leaf, framed with curved and straight sections finished in b acrylic ebonising spray.
Linkages: gold coloured wire.
All hung from leather cord.
Thanks for looking,

Ian

Attachments

• necklace3b.jpg
    necklace3b.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 1,275
  • necklace2.jpg
    necklace2.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 1,275
  • necklace1.jpg
    necklace1.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 1,275
A bit of a rush this month - didn't help being away for over 2 weeks.
A necklace pendant turned from a scrap of spalted burr elm that I've been storing for such a project. The frame is sycamore and the loop is a piece of nickel/chrome wire (my silver findings are hidden somewhere safe. Somewhere too safe - i couldn't find them!).
The intention was to enclose the natural edge to make it look like a mountainous landscape. If preferred the reverse side can be worn instead to present a simple inset burr.
The finish is sprayed lacquer

PICT5952.jpg

PICT5953.jpg

PICT5960.jpg

Attachments

• PICT5952.jpg
    PICT5952.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 1,258
  • PICT5953.jpg
    PICT5953.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 1,258
  • PICT5960.jpg
    PICT5960.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 1,258
Well once again .. Im sure you know whats coming. No time so token entry with little effort. I had to move a hell of a load of stuff just to get to the lathe this month.

Beech ring. Turned a spiget then used jaws to hold while I turned the ring. Mostly the parting tool and skew. The black is paint.

Attachments

• ring1.jpg
    ring1.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,232
  • ring2.jpg
    ring2.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 1,232
  • ring3.jpg
    ring3.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 1,232
Hi All,

Wow - after seeing the above I nearly didn't post this,

Pendant in Mahogany, to 600 then paste wax finish.

Use of a backing plate, and double sided tape to hold different centre for drillled cord hole, and the two grooves. 2 inch across, That tiny hand is my eldest daughter.

S7003651-1.jpg

Regs
Loz

My August Challenge Entry is a Monks Crucifix to be work with a Tabard / Gown

The stock used was a piece of Thuya Burr ,

Finished item size is 5" x 3"

Turned on 2 axis points vertical / horizontal from one piece of wood , no joins

After the main turning / shaping the center transition point was hand finished with a rasp and hand sanded to shape

Sanded 120 to 400 , 2 coats sanding sealer de nibbed with webrax , Then hard wax oil and Microcrystalline wax

Unfortunately the leather lanyard that I ordered 10 days ago has still not arrived

I will post full WIP photos after the judging to show the full sequence and problems I had to overcome :lol:

IMG_1275.jpg

:mrgreen:
IMG_1277.jpg

:mrgreen:
IMG_1278.jpg

I decided to keep this simple and un decorated as no enhancement was needed

Zebrano Bangle:
First job; try to fit Ax. wood jaw plates to the chuck, jaw 4 wouldn't fit so had to do a little file work. Then cut, fit and turn pine jaws to hold blank.
Recess turned in side a, blank then put on dovetail jaws and recess turned on second side, then outside turned, wire burned grooves done and finished.
Wood jaws refitted and turned to accept new diameter, centre then turned out of blank and finished.
Sanded all over 120-400, then nyweb.
First coat 60:40 sanding sealer:cellulose thinners, 2 coats melamine laquer, microcrystalline wax on outer surface only. Abrading inbetween coats.

The inner diameter is 80mm which is a little large for the 'average' lady, but was made to fit the intended recipient and is a comfortable secure fit.

P1070767k.jpg

P1070770kz.jpg

P1070774k.jpg

Attachments

• P1070767k.jpg
    P1070767k.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 383
  • P1070770kz.jpg
    P1070770kz.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 383
  • P1070774k.jpg
    P1070774k.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 383
a little hurried all round due to new grandson (4 days ago) - so obviously I have been looking at sheds and lathes for him (hammer)

another interesting challenge as I have never made an item of jewelry in wood, let alone on the lathe - stickies (and Chas) helped a lot. went for yew rather then sycamore and a lot of decoration, as is my normal approach. initially played around with spinning chuck in close proximity to my knuckles, and tools, but took a step back and made an expansion chuck that expanded to hold the bangle tight when I wound the live centre into the end - and my fingers relaxed...

finished with ww22 only.

6094195500_cd74028437_o.jpg

6094196518_f42932db9c_z.jpg

6093659179_33fcb586f6_o.jpg

thank you to Allen (again) and all other's involved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back