Auger Frustration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Barto

👍
Reaction score
I bought these Makita auger bits a while ago and not one of them gives a clean cut, despite having been sharpened (and sharpened again). They are useless. Am I paying the price for not spending much money?

Incidentally I have a 19mm auger bit that I got free with some Simon James holdfasts and it is excellent. The only difference I can really see is that it has a taller spur than the Makitas but the quality of cut is night and day.

have a look at the height of the spur - on many cheaper augers it is far too low for the thing to cut cleanly even if sharp. I bought one (a decent enough brand) which was so low it couldn't be expected to cut cleanly. Axminster ones are good, but the larger ones take some driving and will take your hand off if you forget the clutch. I find Wood Beaver excellent.

Your 19mm bit is Star-M mate. Best bits I have ever used. The Auger bits don't seem to be sold by WHeaven now other than a set. (shame) The old stock were Very aggressive. Mind your wrist with a big bit in an electric drill but by God do they work. You have to hold them back in reality. Probably meant more for a brace? I'm guessing the F type ones are the 'new' types for that reason. They are designed to leave no blowout on exit. They don't but ironically you need to be a little careful on entry as they can tear a little going in so use a bit of sacrificial and they are amazeballs. Yep. You read that right. Amazeballs! :D . However they are very gentle to use. Lovely bits. No screw and far less aggressive. Proper nice bits. As they say.
Maybe why Mathew has gone with this new range?
Fine Tools has a good list as always but you'll pay the postage.
Cheers matey.
Chris

https://www.workshopheaven.com/star-m-j ... ngles.html

I suspect by the nature of them if they have a good spur to cut cleanly on the way in you'll get an element of spelch on the exit. I've just done about fifty holes in a rough bit of pine this afternoon with a Wood Beaver 12mm, an Axi 16mm and a Wood Beaver 20mm - it was only a stand for morse taper bits, centres etc. so spelch was unimportant, but if it could be avoided, fine. The centre screws are a bit quick and vicious on both makes, but so long as you don't use pressure when breaking through they cease to draw and the wood can be reversed and drilled from the other side fairly cleanly. Pity I didn't read the post a few hours ago, I'd have taken a picture - but it's full now. I think the only way to guarantee perfectly clean holes is to sandwich the wood between sacrificial pieces - I've done this before successfully with angled holes.

Thanks guys. Chris, I thought it was a Star-M bit but couldn't remember for sure. I've ordered one of the of the F-type bits from Workshop Heaven so will see how that goes. Unfortunately the other sizes I want (14 & 15mm) are only available from Fine Tools - the postage is about the same price as the bits!

Phil, you're right about sandwiching the work piece or using a backing board or what have you, but the holes in question are for the arms/backs of Windsor chairs and are done in situ. It's frustrating at times, especially having to clean up any spelching and other mess with a spokeshave.

I took delivery of a Star-M F-type 13mm auger bit from Workshop Heaven today and I have to say it’s the nicest bit I’ve ever used. The photos below are of a pretty nasty piece of pine that I tested it on. Ridiculously clean exit hole!!

Attachments

• 6CC5BCC3-D373-4EAD-97E4-24E70466AA00.jpeg
    6CC5BCC3-D373-4EAD-97E4-24E70466AA00.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 82
  • 33079E89-3172-41C5-B653-51BCD25CBEDE.jpeg
    33079E89-3172-41C5-B653-51BCD25CBEDE.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 82
Glad you're happy.
I'd still pack the back of any hole on an important drill. (like your chair) Even if you have to bodge a solution with thin scrap and binding it with cord or some mad idea. They cut excellent exit holes with just a little resistance. As mentioned above the entry hole is more prone to issues in my limited experience so worth some attention.
The screw led auger bits are excellent and very well engineered Precision stuff and hog out waste at a frightening rate. Mind your wrists even in a small battery drill.
I bought an Irwin bit once on price for a certain job. Night and day. Would never buy another. Hold the two next to each other an examine and the differences are incredible. Tried Axmister blue bits and the lead screw melted. Maybe I got a duffer but I'm not lying. It literally melted. Just gave up on life.

These Star-m bits are first class. Absolute Mustard. Unlike a lead screw you can wander the bit too. Well handy when needed.
Why they are not more widely known/available over here I don't know. Don't really do sets of tools but if I had the availables I would gladly buy these as a full set of bits and sod the kid's heritage lol.

Amateur hour advice of course but you know that already.

Regards
Chris

Back