Auger bits for brace

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluegillUK

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon peeps,

Really need some bits for a brace and having never sharpened a drill bit in my life (will learn but not just yet!). I always see them at the car boot but never know what they're going to be like having not used them before. Is there a reputable source of old-style bits that anyone can recommend or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks, as always!

Nick

s/h augers are fairly easy to clean up and sharpen, apart from the small ones (which aren't very useful anyway).

Caveat: if they have EVER been filed on the outside, they're irretrievably damaged. Learn enough to know what this looks like, and do not buy.

BugBear

There are some good prices on NOS auger bits here:

https://www.fine-tools.com/auger-bit-co ... shaft.html

but only a few useful sizes. The ones without spurs are surely only useful for rough work ? He has a proper auger file too. I have a few, the ones I have are Irwin. I also have old bits from ebay etc that I've sharpened - but the new ones work better. The old ones have well worn spurs, and some dinged lead screws.

Incidentally - a frend showed me an auger bit which had been dropped onto the spur, which was bent inwards. I was surprised it had not broken. Since it was no use as it was, I used a bit of flat bar held in the metalwork vice as an anvil, placed the bent spur on it and tapped gently with a hammer. It straightened nicely. So, it might be a possible way of correcting spurs that have been filed or worn a little on the outside (other bits may be harder; attempt at your own risk !)

What brace do you have Bluegill? Some will accept only certain types of bits, some will accept more. My German Flott one takes most types, might affect what bits you can sensibly buy. If you have one that can accept round shafted bits it will open up possibilities to what you can use. The best bits I have ever used are Star-M Japanese ones I bought from fine tools as per Tony's link above but I don't have enough experience to give advice , at best maybe a nudge in the right direction. Bear in mind (if you havent used them) fine tools sell excellent gear, top notch but there's a fair (posted from Germany) but fairly hefty minimum postage on it, best to buy a few bits and pieces at once perhaps. The Star-m ones, (as maybe others will do) work great but if you have a look and get the right ones, you can also chuck them in an electric. Handy.

Sheffield Tony":3134bdjs said:
The ones without spurs are surely only useful for rough work ?

I think the ones without spurs are for end grain drilling where the spurs would be redundant, not sure if the edge geometry may be slightly different too with that in mind ? Happy to be corrected though ! :)

Back