AT1416VS Stand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dp341

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an AT1416VS - up 'til now it's been mounted to a bench but I need to make some room and was considering chucking out the bench and buying the stand for the lathe from Axminster.

Has anyone got this lathe on the stand? If so, is it pretty stable? I see it has wheels, is it reasonably easy to maneuver if required?

Any experience (or other ideas) welcomed.

thanks

Daniel

Daniel

I do not have experience of the Axi stand but I have fitted lathes on the http://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/cast-iron-6-speed-midi-lathe stand. It is adjustable for height and width (no wheels).

It is half the price and is rock solid. I fit a melamine board flat to the top of the stand and then fix the lathe to the board.

This way you don't have to bother whether the holes in the stand match those of the lathe and you have a shelf for your tools.

Bill

The legs are cast iron & weigh a fair bit. In my younger days I wouldn't have had much problem carrying them (one at a time) but I walked mine (pivoting each leg forward) into my shed even negotiating a 6" step.

They have adjustable feet for leveling. Don't know where you got the idea that it's on wheels though.

So yes, it's fairly solid due to the overall weight but can be made to wobble in conventional mode, with large unbalanced pieces.
There are holes at the bottom of the legs to allow them to be bolted down.

Hi, Just registered so reply to this thread.
The stand in question is box section steel, not cast iron.
It has adjustable feet at the tail stock end, and wheels at head stock end, although
there are also tapped holes so feet can be fitted alongside the wheels.
Picking the mounted lathe up from the head stock end is not to hard, and lathe moved ok.
Seems very solid when pulling it about, didn't try it in use, as I feel the shop may have
objected to that is their pristine showroom :lol:
If you can wait till later this week I will be able to tell you more as mine should be here tomorrow
according to the tracking number. Although mine will have a Jet 1015 on top, as I need the wheels which
the Jet stand doesn't have, it also seemed less stable than the 1416 stand.

Neil. >)

Bill, thanks for the tip. I'll take a look.

Neil, I'd be very interested to hear what you think. thanks

I'll try and find time to post a pic over the weekend.
But so far I like it, very stable and the lathe run very quietly at all rpm.
Important as I'm running it in the kitchen of my 1 bed flat :lol:
It is well balanced and easy to move about, just pick one end up and roll
it away when it's time to make dinner 8)

Neil. :)

Hornet 6":3m2ejacz said:
Important as I'm running it in the kitchen of my 1 bed flat :lol:
It is well balanced and easy to move about, just pick one end up and roll
it away when it's time to make dinner 8)

So you can make wood chips as well as potato chips. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope you enjoy the turning

Sorry this has taken me so long, been busy playing :lol:
Anyway the stand has worked out well, stable and easy to move.
The centre bar has a few holes into which you can stick a few tools etc.
It can be tilted so tools are upright or rotated slightly if that is easier.
I will add a set of jack up casters to make moving it easier as my kitchen is little wider than the lathe.
Next on the agenda is a dust extractor, I have 4 inch hood thing which I am going to set in the base under the lathe, and if needed will plumb a letter box size one in the back as well.

Lathe & Stand.jpg

Attachments

• Lathe & Stand.jpg
    Lathe & Stand.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 896
Back