Aspalls Cider versus Crabbies Alcoholic Ginger Beer etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leffe ruby. I haven't seen it here but I bought a couple of boxes back from France in June.

I've got into the habit of a bottle of Tequila-flavoured beer at the end of the shift. Aldi and Lidl do ones that are indistinguishable from each other. I tried Morrison's Desperados this week and it's not the same.
S

When I was on nights, a cold can of Guinness at 6 am used to steady the buffs. Now I like Adnams Ghost Ship or a Bombardier for breakfast. On Sundays, an English breakfast at Wetherspoons washed down with a Czech Staropramen or a Bavarian Erdinger.
I love to drink. Although sometimes it causes some almighty rows at home.

Sorry to say that I recognize none of the above. I would love to give them a try though! In Canuckia we have loads of beers ,but until lately (last 20 yrs. or so) they were mostly the same. Oh a few varietals like porters a stout or 2 , but mostly not enough difference to matter.Since 20 yrs. back we have gotten better choices and a lot of new microbrewery items but generally at premium pricepoints. So for my refreshment choice I like Lakeport honey brown Ale. Cheapest stuff legally allowed as well as a pretty darn good beer . Once in a while things just work out right.

Tea for me also. It's odd that a hot drink should be so welcome on a hot day but it seems to quench my thirst more than any other beverage.
Cheers,
John

Just out of interest - what is it that alcohol actually does to you guys to make you like it? Is it simply the taste, or the effects of the alcohol has, and if so what effect is it that gives you so much pleasure? I refer to the 'cold beer after a hard days work' rather than 15 pints and a curry on a Friday night type of drinking.

I ask as someone who drinks the occasional beer (I still have some bottles left over from Christmas in the fridge), but is really not bothered by the whole drinking thing - I am more likely to drink a coffee (I like the taste of coffee rather than drinking it for a caffeine hit) as a beer. I do hate being drunk, and probably haven't been properly so for the last 20 years as I hate not to be in control of my actions.

I am not anti-alcohol or t-total, but am wondering what I am not getting from it that lots of other people seem to!

Steve

+1

I don't like being drunk ether, plus it takes me longer to recover from even 3 pints or two glasses of wine.

Pete

StevieB":21ivjobp said:
Just out of interest - what is it that alcohol actually does to you guys to make you like it? Is it simply the taste, or the effects of the alcohol has, ........... I hate not to be in control of my actions.

Steve

For me the not being in control's probably the bit I like. Somehow I've got used to and actually like the taste of some alcoholic beverages, but if it wasn't for the alcohol I'd much rather apple juice or tea. Apart from an odd detached warm feeling at the time, there is nothing to commend it really.

RossJarvis":3tzucz38 said:
Henry Westons Vintage, Cider or Perry, about 7% you just can't go wrong:) (hammer)

+1 for that, as we used to supply apples to Westons when I were a lad!

Interesting that Westons used to, and may still, supply the Waitrose own brand cider and now Lidl are selling Westons cloudy cider. That is definitely covering both ends of the market :D

Latest posts

Back