Asking a question of our American friends.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I am wanting to post a box made by me to Hawaii, a long standing American friend.
Does anyone know of import restrictions to the big Island, Hawaii?

Or a link for this information

I regularly send gifts to a friend in the USA. You will need to fill in customs declaration stating what it is "Gift - wooden box" and an approximate value. I've never had any issues with the stuff I've sent. But it may also be worth asking the post office.

OllyK":2t8vqdwo said:
I regularly send gifts to a friend in the USA. You will need to fill in customs declaration stating what it is "Gift - wooden box" and an approximate value. I've never had any issues with the stuff I've sent. But it may also be worth asking the post office.

Not quite accurate...you need to write...

"Gift - wooden box. Has never been involved in moral torpitude and has not been on a farm" :wink:

RogerS":20mm35n3 said:
OllyK":20mm35n3 said:

"Gift - wooden box. Has never been involved in moral torpitude and has not been on a farm" :wink:

torpitude, torpitude bah!!! where's that damn dictionary when I need it. :?

Thanks for replies.

It appears our friends are on the mainland at the moment so will not be posting until the end of next month. Perhaps the volcano will have quitened down by then as well.

Boy we are talking big bucks here(Dollars)
Our Post Offices are running scared right now with all the threats out there...
But as we say over here,Declare everything,and they still may open it when it arrives to check it out..an it .is what it says it is....Won`t be a problem delivering it.I havn`t had a problem yet ,except paying the postage.

MDF_HAKA":mzn90hz1 said:
RogerS":mzn90hz1 said:
OllyK":mzn90hz1 said:

Turpitude perhaps, as torpitude would probably relate to being fat, sluggish and apathetic. Does the US legislate against that? ;)

Ian (getting his coat)

Yep if you can say it our government will tax it....I`m waiting on another Boston Tea Party.
We even pay a death tax,they drain us during our lives and come get the rest when we die.If you have anything left....If you try and give it to someone they tax them for it too....

Oh you mean Fat people,yep we tax fat people too,we are starting a new program :if you are 50 lbs overweight and you want to get on an airplane you need to buy another ticket...and don`t even try bringing another carry on on board,anything over 15 lbs. has to go in the hole of the plane.And don`t expect a n meal on board either,or a movie.Crappy airplanes.....
Note to self,you better lose weight or you won`t fit in those movie house seats ever again.150 lb person would be comfortable,anyone else its a chore.

ijam":nyhozmhk said:
MDF_HAKA":nyhozmhk said:
RogerS":nyhozmhk said:
OllyK":nyhozmhk said:

Turpitude perhaps, as torpitude would probably relate to being fat, sluggish and apathetic. Does the US legislate against that? ;)

Ian (getting his coat)

My mistake :D Have you never been to the US and had to fill in one of those wee forms? Lots of questions such as 'Are you a criminal', 'Are you a communist' , 'Are you carrying a nuclear device' ...sorry, made that last one up. All questions that any sensible person or even terrorist is going to say NO....

Have to chuckle at the US Customs form as well. My favourite question is 'Have you been on a farm?'. Note the lack of any temporal concept to the question. Now, as I'm getting on in years the answer is Yes I have been on a farm (at some point in my life)....the fact that I currently live in the middle of farmland is neither here nor there.

Anyway, long flight to San Francisco and I was bored. So I ticked the box that said 'Yes'. Got to the Customs Desk and was asked (politely, this was San Fran after all)

'Are you bringing in any fruit?'

'No' I replied 'I;'ve been on a farm'

'OK - go over and see those two guys there' she said pointing towards a couple of bored looking Customs guys. So I toddle over and hand them my form..and they said...

'No' I said ' I;ve been on a farm'

'Were you wearing those shoes' they said pointing at my brogues.

'No' I replied

'Well, where are they?' they asked

'In a skip somewhere I guess..I don't know. It was about twenty years ago' I said smiling to disarm any potential for the 'snick of a rubber glove situation'. 'It doesn't stipulate time on the form'

They laughed and said 'Good point, buddy. Go on...geddoutahere'

I do like to push the envelope ocasionally. :lol:

I do like to push the envelope occasionally.

So do I, usually about thirty seconds before I find out that most officials lack a sense of humour!
My favourite is the guy on the end of the phone who asks for proof of identity, I normally ask if he'd like to look at my driver's licence!

Roy.

Hee hee. Very brave you two, I'm always far too cautious to poke any fun in those situations. :shock:

Ian

RogerS":1kco75w9 said:
ijam":1kco75w9 said:
MDF_HAKA":1kco75w9 said:
RogerS":1kco75w9 said:
OllyK":1kco75w9 said:

Ian (getting his coat)

My mistake :D Have you never been to the US and had to fill in one of those wee forms? Lots of questions such as 'Are you a criminal', 'Are you a communist' , 'Are you carrying a nuclear device' ...sorry, made that last one up. All questions that any sensible person or even terrorist is going to say NO....

Have to chuckle at the US Customs form as well. My favourite question is 'Have you been on a farm?'. Note the lack of any temporal concept to the question. Now, as I'm getting on in years the answer is Yes I have been on a farm (at some point in my life)....the fact that I currently live in the middle of farmland is neither here nor there.

Anyway, long flight to San Francisco and I was bored. So I ticked the box that said 'Yes'. Got to the Customs Desk and was asked (politely, this was San Fran after all)

'No' I replied 'I;'ve been on a farm'

'OK - go over and see those two guys there' she said pointing towards a couple of bored looking Customs guys. So I toddle over and hand them my form..and they said...

'No' I said ' I;ve been on a farm'

'Were you wearing those shoes' they said pointing at my brogues.

'No' I replied

'Well, where are they?' they asked

'In a skip somewhere I guess..I don't know. It was about twenty years ago' I said smiling to disarm any potential for the 'snick of a rubber glove situation'. 'It doesn't stipulate time on the form'

They laughed and said 'Good point, buddy. Go on...geddoutahere'

I do like to push the envelope ocasionally. :lol:

You`d be surprised at how many bugs are walked into a State...many are harmful to our plants...can`t be too careful.California takes it very seriously,no joke there...word to the wise be nice and you`ll be treated the same.California is a state that feeds a lot of people in the other states....We just had a big samonilla scare about tomatoes,only they were found out to be ok...after further study it was in Mexican peppers...1400 people hospitalized.249 still in hospital.....China was putting antifreeze in dog food and shipping it here,lead paint on the kids toys....some kinda rubbish in the toothpaste....With all these issues,I wouldn`t push the envelope.

Roger, I can strongly advise that you answer the immigration form very carefully if entering China.
The slightest nonconformity involves at least ten Chinese official arriving at the immigration desk of which some are armed, and they dont speak English.

The USA is a doddle.

devonwoody":32c5ypzn said:
Roger, I can strongly advise that you answer the immigration form very carefully if entering China.
The slightest nonconformity involves at least ten Chinese official arriving at the immigration desk of which some are armed, and they dont speak English.

The USA is a doddle.

Then if they don't speak English then I could put down any old twaddle :lol:

Like 'Free Tibet' ?

I am wanting to post a box made by me to Hawaii, a long standing American friend.
Does anyone know of import restrictions to the big Island, Hawaii?

Or a link for this information

DW,

I am not sure if this may be important, but when shipped equipment from work to Hawaii we have to use certified pest free wood for the construction of crates.

I know that the state of Hawaii are very keen on no fruit/plant imports as they check incoming and outgoing luggage very carefully as an additional stage after the upgraded security.

Your Hawaian fried should know the details of this, I only deal with it via the export agent and peronal experience of the luggage checks.
hth
StarGazer

Thanks Stargazer, I know Hawaii being an Island they are more careful regarding anything coming in and thats why I posted the question.

My friends are away on the mainland at the moment so I will await their return and discuss with them, there is some spelting of the sycamore so even that might pose a situation.

BTW. there are no snakes on the Islands. :)

Digit":v1zg3amg said:

So do I, usually about thirty seconds before I find out that most officials lack a sense of humour!
My favourite is the guy on the end of the phone who asks for proof of identity, I normally ask if he'd like to look at my driver's licence!

Roy.

I ask them to identify themselves first. After all, anyone could call and ask you for details - who's to say they are who they say they are. It does really bug them, but they can't really complain........

NickWelford":2gyyv0re said:
Digit":2gyyv0re said:

Roy.

I ask them to identify themselves first. After all, anyone could call and ask you for details - who's to say they are who they say they are. It does really bug them, but they can't really complain........

Reminds me of one of my all-time favourite Punch cartoons that featured a man, just having opened his front door and there on the doorstep is Death ....black shroud, sickle etc and the man is saying 'I don't care who you say you are. Have you got any ID?'

Back