Ashley Iles chisels REVIEW

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Methinks potential for confusion hereon. Best call the factory on 01790 763372 and get it from the horses mouth!

cheers,

Ike

Thanks for the review, Tony.

fwiw, the AI chisels are the only new chisels I have considered for some time. Maybe I just need to sell off a few more items and get them...

Mike

Well worth it Mike. I've just finished using them whilst fitting a new mortice lock to our front door :shock: Came home to find that none of our 3 keys would work in the old one.

I have been sining the praises of the AIs to my assisitant (older daughter) the whole time

Cheers

The tool bore :wink:

Money where mouth is. I received two more AI chsiels today with much flatter backs than the first 8. I see no need to even work on the backs for these two, just a quick hone will do it - fantastic!!!!

Hi Tony

Received my chisels a few days ago:

They all have a slightly concave back - this is deliberate according to Ray Iles - easier to polish the important bit. I'm happy with this and won't be doing much work on the backs I don't reckon. My the handles are big on these chisels - but feel nice to me. I was expecting a little more weight - pretty light. Looking forward to having a proper play with them over the Christmas hols.

Cheers

Gidon

Flatter faces? Wishful thinking, I suspect...

Just acquired a 2" AI - two hours in I've just got a thin ribbon of flat all the way across at the pointy end (and half way up) - looks almost like a damn jap chisel with scoops in the top and bottom thirds of the blade (which would be great, if it was :p )

Got a Sorby 1/4" paring at the same time, which just needed tickling

Newbie_Neil":3l4vnos6 said:
Do you know what has been improved?

The whole blade geometry is changing. Everyone liked the thin sides so they will be even thinner. The sub 1" chisels will have smaller handles (larger ones still available to order for those who prefer them) and the handles will be available in beech as well as bubinga. The backs will also be substantially flatter so that there is less work required to polish them.

They've basically taken all the critiques and comments received about the original ones, separated 'taste issues' from the more universal comments, then implemented all the changes in one revision to minimise confusion and the mixed set problem for people who have been collecting them over time.

The Butt chisels are getting the same treatment, in fact the first few arrived last week. As you can see the blades are slightly longer, but by shortening the neck they have kept the centre of balance in exactly the same spot, so the old and new feel pretty much the same in the hand.

NewButt.jpg

Edges.jpg

Newblades.jpg

barrels.jpg

The new bevel edge will be along in two or three months time. The old versions will be only available for as long as stocks last though, so if you have a part set and want to add to it, it might be wise to act quickly.

The Iles chisels are supposed to be concave on the back are they not?

I am looking at changing a substantial order of Sorby chisels to Isles (for 60 odd students, 4 chisels per student) and am wondering if anyone can advise? What RC hardness do the Sorbys have?

I checked out the site and there are only carving and turning chisels on the site. Where do you buy their bench chisels?

I'm currently having a look at severial different brands of chisels. So far, the AI's have come out reasonably well overall, however there are chisels around in certain areas that are better. Watch this space.... :wink: - Rob

Hello,

you also can buy the chisels by sending the factory a e-mail.
The chisels you mean are only in there catalogs.
You can send a e-mail to [email protected] and Christine will
help you, a very helpful lady.
And when you buy directly they are less expensive, in my case.

Good luck.

Schummie

Just received a 1 inch and 16th of an inch Ashley Iles chisels from Workshop Heaven. I was sporting an elastoplast within minutes. #-o Just trimmed a couple of dovetails in mahogony wow they real are brilliant, putting my old bevel edge chisles to shame. Now I know how sharp they can be I will be keeping my fingers out of the way . I wanted to have a look at a couple of them before I plumped for a whole set. Wish I had just ordered a whole set now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back