ashem crafts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyb

Established Member
Reaction score
msparker looking for chairmaking tackle has made me revisit this website and I was sad to see they closed it last summer( due to old age and I'll health) the rounders are a truly superb tool and have an interesting history in themselves being originally made as a project in itself using rudimentary aluminium casting. by I think a guy called Fred lambert. anybody used these ( apart from me?) or know any more about it or them.

I have 2 Ashem rounders. They are a simple casting with brash bushes for the input and rounded piece. They use a spoke shave blade
Starting with octagonal stock they cut quite quickly by hand and I have also used them on a lathe at slow speed
I think ashem used to sell a drive system for use with rounders

I remember talking to the chap who made them at a show many years back. The drive system they produced was based on a Reliant Robin gearbox teamed to a motor and a range of square chucks.

Had a few some years back but found I wasn't using them. Selling 4 back then bought me a planer thicknesser, which has been more useful to be fair

my mate actually had one using that gearbox! I just use a slowish lathe and self centring 4 jaw.
There's been one on eBay for a while, but I don't think the seller really knows what it is.

What sort of speed do you use? I found my lathe too fast for the rounders, but ok for the trapping plane

geared slow or maybe myford back geared. wax on the Bush. Best to run the size above down or prepare them even and straight as they will only be as straight as they start. the rounders get hot btw .

Back