Ash Wall Mounted Display Cabinet - WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooops, forgot to upload a pic of the glaziers hammer for anyone who hasn't seen one of these before. It was new to me that's for sure.

If anyone else has got any comments/feedback on this project, I'd be pleased to hear them...

cheers
Steve

Attachments

• Nokia Lumia 800_000602.jpg
    Nokia Lumia 800_000602.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 1,484
Orcamesh":3ma3mqxr said:
If anyone else has got any comments/feedback on this project, I'd be pleased to hear them...

cheers
Steve
Nice, straight forward job Steve. My main comments would be with regard to the grain orientation of the doors. If you look at the final pic:

WP_000322.jpg

...here, you can see exactly what I'm blathering on about. The bottom rhs door rail ought to have been placed in the top lhs door, but the other way up, so that the effect of and 'arch' is formed and vice versa...the top lhs rail should be on the bottom of the rhs door and the other way round. Similarly, if you look at the two upright stiles on the outside of the doors, the grain curves inwards so the cabinet looks (but obviously it's not) a bit 'knock kneed' From my own perspective, choosing the way the grain flows (and door handles) is critical to how the finished job will look and it's something that I spend a long time agonising over before I even start to cut a piece of wood - Rob

I agree with WB about the grain in the door sections but I was more struck by the back panels which I think would look better with the grain running the other way up. I normally position them to look like a flame. Nice job overall and interesting finish details

woodbloke":11l9cie3 said:
Orcamesh":11l9cie3 said:

cheers
Steve
Nice, straight forward job Steve. My main comments would be with regard to the grain orientation of the doors. If you look at the final pic:

WP_000322.jpg

...here, you can see exactly what I'm blathering on about. The bottom rhs door rail ought to have been placed in the top lhs door, but the other way up, so that the effect of and 'arch' is formed and vice versa...the top lhs rail should be on the bottom of the rhs door and the other way round. Similarly, if you look at the two upright stiles on the outside of the doors, the grain curves inwards so the cabinet looks (but obviously it's not) a bit 'knock kneed' From my own perspective, choosing the way the grain flows (and door handles) is critical to how the finished job will look and it's something that I spend a long time agonising over before I even start to cut a piece of wood - Rob

Modernist":11l9cie3 said:
I agree with WB about the grain in the door sections but I was more struck by the back panels which I think would look better with the grain running the other way up. I normally position them to look like a flame. Nice job overall and interesting finish details

Thanks for your comments chaps.

I fully appreciate that it is a straight forward job for many, but with my lack of experience this was a challenge for me. The grain orientation I did actually think about for quite some time and made a decision, alas probably not the right decision! The four stiles from left to right come from the same board, if you glued them all back together again as they are, then you would see that the grain matches up (minus the saw kerf cuts). The same applies to the rails, but in this case the bottom left rail would adjoin the top right rail in the original board. However, each pair of rails (left & right) are book matched too (at least they were split along the saw kerf line). You should be able to see that the grain matches?

I agree about the back panels too, I had real trouble with this part of the project in general. I have learned quite a bit doing this and won't make the same mistakes again.

Anyhow obviously I have made some wrong decisions and something to learn from amongst the others.

Thanks for your invaluable inputs.

Steve

Orcamesh":3l4qhy7g said:
I fully appreciate that it is a straight forward job for many, but with my lack of experience this was a challenge for me. The grain orientation I did actually think about for quite some time and made a decision, alas probably not the right decision! The four stiles from left to right come from the same board, if you glued them all back together again as they are, then you would see that the grain matches up (minus the saw kerf cuts). The same applies to the rails, but in this case the bottom left rail would adjoin the top right rail in the original board. However, each pair of rails (left & right) are book matched too (at least they were split along the saw kerf line). You should be able to see that the grain matches?

I agree about the back panels too, I had real trouble with this part of the project in general. I have learned quite a bit doing this and won't make the same mistakes again.

Anyhow obviously I have made some wrong decisions and something to learn from amongst the others.

Thanks for your invaluable inputs.

Steve
I think that board for the front rails and stiles was 'crown' cut, hence the typical ash figuring. Quarter sawn ash, with more of a straight grain would have been preferable to get a better orientation for the door material. None-the-less, a nice piece and as long as you remember the experiences from this job there's a better than even chance that you won't repeat them.
That's the theory...sometimes though (as in some of the stuff I do) practice is different :( - Rob

woodbloke":fk8mbuar said:
I think that board for the front rails and stiles was 'crown' cut, hence the typical ash figuring. Quarter sawn ash, with more of a straight grain would have been preferable to get a better orientation for the door material. None-the-less, a nice piece and as long as you remember the experiences from this job there's a better than even chance that you won't repeat them.
That's the theory...sometimes though (as in some of the stuff I do) practice is different :( - Rob

You're absolutely right Rob, all my boards were crown cut. For whatever reason, even if I ask for quarter sawn my supplier doesn't seem to have any or be able to get any. Is this normal? It seems to me to be true, over the years I have bought a fair amount of timber.

Here are some final photos of the cabinet on the wall and details of the ebony door pulls I turned on the lathe on Friday night...

thanks again
Steve

Attachments

• Nokia Lumia 800_000617.jpg
    Nokia Lumia 800_000617.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 1,343
  • IMG_2057.jpg
    IMG_2057.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 1,343
  • IMG_2061.jpg
    IMG_2061.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 1,343
  • IMG_2063.jpg
    IMG_2063.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 1,343
Excellent job done on the door pulls Steve =D> Another one of my fetish's I'm afeard as I think that although it's one of the smallest parts of a job, it's also one of the most important as it's the place the viewer's eye is immediately drawn to and it's usually the first place on a cabinet that the user will touch...so they have to be 'right' - Rob

woodbloke":31evwm8q said:
Excellent job done on the door pulls Steve =D> Another one of my fetish's I'm afeard as I think that although it's one of the smallest parts of a job, it's also one of the most important as it's the place the viewer's eye is immediately drawn to and it's usually the first place on a cabinet that the user will touch...so they have to be 'right' - Rob

Thanks Rob. :)

There was no plan I just did what I could on the lathe. But turning ebony is good fun as it is so dense and stable, so small components like this can easily be made.

Orcamesh":2dv7lmgp said:
There was no plan I just did what I could on the lathe. But turning ebony is good fun as it is so dense and stable, so small components like this can easily be made.
Ebony is one of my favourites for handles and knobs as it goes well with most timbers. If you can source it, African Blackwood is even better...on the Little Cabinet recently posted there's a spacer at the top of the door roughly equal to the 'shadow' gap which was turned and sanded in AB to a thickness of 0.7mm (not seen in the pics) and the Krenovian sprung loaded door catch that can just about be seen in the bottom rhs is also in AB - Rob

Back