Ash Bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked up some Ash at a steam rally from a man who was demonstrating a engine driven saw, see very short video of it being cut

https://youtu.be/hk_DJg1o-hY

I cut it into blanks and stored it. I did take a couple of pieces out after 6 months and hid it in the top of the airing cupboard for 6 weeks(don't tell the wife)

This bowl is one of the bits I was pleased at the grain I found inside as it did not show anything promising before turning.

Measures 8 3/4" X 1 3/4"

DSCF6007-001_zpsicj9vcju.jpg

DSCF6006-001_zpsyl3xpmpe.jpg

DSCF6004-001_zpsoa5te7t8.jpg

The treasure of the natural figuring becomes a real joy when the form chosen enhances it, always a hidden secret waiting to be discovered.

Ash is one of my favourites, even when a stress induced shading gets me chasing a tooling defect that isn't there before I wise up.

Hope the rest of the stock turns out as well.

Has it moved much after turning? The beech bowl I just turned moved 6mm out of round within 24hrs despite its parent slab being kiln dried and at least four years in my store.

Thank you all.

CHJ":2xqd1fpn said:
The treasure of the natural figuring becomes a real joy when the form chosen enhances it, always a hidden secret waiting to be discovered.

Ash is one of my favourites, even when a stress induced shading gets me chasing a tooling defect that isn't there before I wise up.

Has it moved much after turning? The beech bowl I just turned moved 6mm out of round within 24hrs despite its parent slab being kiln dried and at least four years in my store.

Thank you Chas I finished turning this one yesterday but did not complete the finish until today, no sign of movement. I did do a weight check through out the drying in the airing cupboard as well as a moisture check

woodpig":2xqd1fpn said:
Nice piece of Ash and nicely turned. What finish did you use?

The finish is sander sealer followed by buffing on chestnuts buffing system the finish looks better in the hand I must practice my photographic side of things

Just been having a play with the camera set up and managed to take these hopefully show the finish much better.

DSCF6024-001_zpsbebcktpj.jpg

DSCF6018-001_zps6qdxvzfm.jpg

Dalboy":34xmz8cm said:
Thank you all.

CHJ":34xmz8cm said:

Thank you Chas I finished turning this one yesterday but did not complete the finish until today, no sign of movement. I did do a weight check through out the drying in the airing cupboard as well as a moisture check

Remember that movement isn't just down to moisture content. A piece of wood could be from where the tree was in tension/compression and removing the centre relieves that tension, sometimes causing the wood to move.

duncanh":34jffpq8 said:
Remember that movement isn't just down to moisture content. A piece of wood could be from where the tree was in tension/compression and removing the centre relieves that tension, sometimes causing the wood to move.

You are correct in that something that many people forget about. I had roughed this out not long after I got it and also the bowl was from the main trunk which is less likely to move as much as a branch.

Back