Arts and Crafts Legacy Show

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L Harding

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all

Got the latest F&C through today and was disappointed to find a had missed another arts and crafts show at the millinery. When i saw the article for the last one i vowed i would make an effort to get to the next one as it had looked so good from the pictures of some of the pieces in it, and now its happened again :evil:

Im thinking maybe i should just go and visit the millinery works anyway to see some of the antiques etc. Has anyone done this? Worth the trip?

The article suggested it had been a very successful show, plenty of the designers selling their work. Also implies British furniture design is extremely respected/on the fore front etc at the moment, which is good to hear.

Out of interest does anyone know how the show is run, does the organiser (Martin Grierson?) invite specific designer/makers he knows to be of exception quality to be in the exhibition, or is it more lots apply and he picks the best?

Next year i WILL go... Its already on the calender :p

Luke

As an aside, I have been using Google Calender for about a year. Basically the same as Outlook calender with the added bonus that it will text and\or email you a reminder at a specified time before the event. Transformed my life in terms of forgetting important dates!

Out of interest does anyone know how the show is run, does the organiser (Martin Grierson?) invite specific designer/makers he knows to be of exception quality to be in the exhibition, or is it more lots apply and he picks the best?
Luke

It's organised through the auspices of The Designer Makers Organisation of the United Kingdom (DMOU). All members of the organisation can submit work for consideration for the exhibition once a call goes out for entries. There is a loose selection process usually consisting of the small number of DMOU members heavily involved in organising of the event. The selection process is not really to winkle out low quality work as members of DMOU are already known to produce work of the right sort of quality-- it's part of the membership requirement. The selection process is more concerned really with making the number of items on show manageable and attractively set out in the space available. Slainte.

Luke,

I went to the Millinery Works show when I happened to be in London and can confirm that it is well worth the effort. I was there for most of an afternoon and had the opportunity to talk to Miranda Salmon, one of the makers. Lots of really excellent work on show including a fair amount I had not seen at the earlier show at the Timothy Mark gallery and at Cheltenham.

The show was in two rooms with the rest of the premises absolutely stuffed full of arts and crafts furniture. Much of this was the subject of the previous show which was about the Heals legacy. This stuff may still be there and, if it interests you (it did me) is worth seeing for its own sake. If A&C does not interest you it would be worth 'phoning them first to check what they have currently got on show.

If I was limited to one show it would still be Cheltenham as it is the biggest with the broadest range of makers, most of whom have three pieces on show. For me, it is about 100 miles, but absolutely worth the effort.

Jim

I think it might be even further than 100 miles for me, but if its as good as you say i may still give it a go. (its in August right? i havent looked up the wrong one :oops: )

Back