Are these any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stubtoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Picked up this bunch of chisels from an antiques shop for £20.

0278d5fc-558a-147b.jpg

0278d5fc-5599-1998.jpg

Some of the names on the chisel steels are:

F.Woodcock Sheffield
W.Marples & Sons Sheffield England
Beaded Co 2423 7/8 inch
I.H. Sorry
Mottram Cast Steel
Dentine & Marsdens Bridge St Works Sheffield

Obviously a few of them need new handles.

So did I get a good deal or was I ripped off?!

Jonny

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Your name ain't Dick Turpin by any chance!!!? :shock:

Any good! Any GOOD!

One more and you would have been done for armed robbery! =D>

Careful replacing the handles...some are valuable because of the condition...including the orginal handles!

Wonderful haul...and not a field in sight....mmmmm :idea:

Jim

Looks like you've got your work cut out. £20 is a fair price considering the amount of work needed to them

Looks like garbage to me...gimmie 25 GBP and I will take them off your hands
LOL
Brian

Oh well will have to make the most of them now and clean/fix them up!

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Nice find - the other thing is if they will keep an edge - may have to be heat treated?

I think Sorry could be Sorby?

Rod

Few of them look worn virtually to the nubbin, but certainly £20 worth there (and more). Nice.

"I. H. Sorry" will be "I. H. Sorby" I think. "Beaded Co", um, dunno but I'd hazard a wild guess that might actually be Brades Co. 'cos the number's ringing a bell with me.

I have just been re-handling a 6oz Brades & Co pin hammer.

I did a google search about them and found a brief snippet that they were merge with Nash & Tyzack?

Rod

I find vintage chisels vary a lot, the steel that is. Some are very good, some not so hot. Although there is always the possibility someone has burnt them with a grinder in which case a few sharpenings may solve the problem. Good luck anyway:) .

stubtoe":2lqo5c98 said:

The longest chisel on the right (probably a 1 1/4" paring chisel) would probably cost most of 20 quid from a dealer.

So the rest are gravy.

There's plenty of conservation/restoration advice on the this forum and others. Try to ignore the acrimony.

BugBear

LuptonM":386nfezm said:
Looks like you've got your work cut out. £20 is a fair price considering the amount of work needed to them

What work do you think is need on the mortise chisels ?

BugBear

I thought the two corners of the blade needed to be sharp in order to have a clean mortice. That means lapping both the back and the sides. Mortise chisels seem to get quite alot of damage to the sides thus he has his work cut out, right?

LuptonM":n5pugy14 said:
I thought the two corners of the blade needed to be sharp in order to have a clean mortice. That means lapping both the back and the sides. Mortise chisels seem to get quite alot of damage to the sides thus he has his work cut out, right?

Not IME. The edge may be bashed or chipped, which can easily be ground back. The sides don't matter much. Back may need work in the usual way.

BugBear

Since the arris between face and side cuts the lip, the bottom inch or so does want to be decent (unless you're using american square sided gooey steeled things, in which case paint tins don't care.) I knock off the edge above that with fine wet'n'dry to avoid "paper" cuts.

LuptonM":2u3njx0t said:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Workshopheaven#p/u/19/FYDqeQeov7o

Ah - he wants the side arrises to cut too. Yes, if you want that, lap the sides.

I always excavate the mortise around 1/16" deep as a first pass using tiny cuts, which takes care of the surface cosmetics for me with no further work required. The sides arrises serve no purpose for me, so they don't get worked.

BugBear

Back