Gouges and a Mortice Chisel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxh

Established Member
Reaction score
Bought this morning for £10 the lot:
- Mortice chisel, 3/8", R. Mather & Son, Sheffield. Handle split.
- Gouge, 1", sweep No. 8, Isaac Greaves. Split handle.
- Gouge, 5/8", sweep No. 7, Tyzack & Son, 545? Old St. EC.
- Gouge, 5/8", sweep No. 9, Tyzack & Son, 545? Old St. EC. Split handle.
- Gouge, in-cannel, 5/8", sweep No.8, Charles Taylor, Sheffield.
- Gouge, in-cannel, 3/4", sweep No.7, Mawhood, Sheffield, Made in England.

I intend to de-rust them all and make replacements for the split handles. I've not seen Isaac Greaves before but I suspect that it is a good make.

Attachments

• IMG_1232C.jpg
    IMG_1232C.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 2,577
isaac greaves:
http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/c/c ... eaves2.jpg

Greaves, Isaac (Edge Tool Makers).
Residing at 54 Scotland Street, in 1828-9.
Recorded in: Pigot's Commercial Directory - 1828 to 1829.

Greaves, Isaac (Edge tool and garden & tailors' shear manufacturer). Residing at Broad street lane; house Red hill terrace, in 1837. Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham - 1837.

Greaves, Isaac (Edge tool & shear manufacturer).
Residing at Broad St Lane, Park, house 128 Broad Lane, in 1841. Recorded in: Henry & Thos. Rodgers Sheff & Roth Directory - 1841.

Greaves, Isaac (Edge tool maker(s)).
Residing at 1 Broad Street Lane, Park, Sheffield in 1846. Recorded in: Slaters 1846 Directory, Sheffield.

Greaves, Isaac (Edge tool and shear manufacturer and saw, file, steel &c. dealer). Residing at Park Works, Broad Street Lane; h. 257 Glossop Road, in 1852. Recorded in: White's Gazetteer & General Directory of Sheffield - 1852.

Greaves, Isaac (Edge tool manufacturer (W. K. & C. Peace Ltd. )). Residing at , in 1911.
Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham - 1911.

quality tools well done.
TT

Nice haul. New gouges of comparable makes- ie Ashley Iles would set you back 20 notes each.

Thanks for your replies guys and thanks for the Greaves info. TT. It's rather sad to think of these makers of excellent tools now gone.

Here are the gouges cleaned up with their new handles.

Attachments

• 2013-09-17 19.52.54C.jpg
    2013-09-17 19.52.54C.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 2,381
Thanks charvercarver,
The bottom two gouges in the photo were incannel when I bought them and I have left them in the same style. I have not changed the other three to incannel - the shiny areas are just where I have removed some pitting. Not a very clear photo I'm afraid - I used my mobile 'phone as my camera battery was charging.....

rxh":etfjdbji said:
Bought this morning for £10 the lot:
- Mortice chisel, 3/8", R. Mather & Son, Sheffield. Handle split.
- Gouge, 1", sweep No. 8, Isaac Greaves. Split handle.
- Gouge, 5/8", sweep No. 7, Tyzack & Son, 545? Old St. EC.
- Gouge, 5/8", sweep No. 9, Tyzack & Son, 545? Old St. EC. Split handle.
- Gouge, in-cannel, 5/8", sweep No.8, Charles Taylor, Sheffield.
- Gouge, in-cannel, 3/4", sweep No.7, Mawhood, Sheffield, Made in England.

I intend to de-rust them all and make replacements for the split handles. I've not seen Isaac Greaves before but I suspect that it is a good make.

I prefer them with the original handles, unless the splits are bad enough to affect their use. Even then, I would try to repair the splits first.

I think you did O.K. good value for money. I bought one mortice chisel yesterday and I paid £7.00 at the Bentley Wood Fair.

JohnPW":3oy5rzft said:
I prefer them with the original handles, unless the splits are bad enough to affect their use. Even then, I would try to repair the splits first.
I agree, especially as the Greaves No8 appears to have its original, early handle.
chris

Latest posts

Back