Arched top door - what do you call this joint?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glynster

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of making some Tudor-esque curved/arched top doors for my home and I have seen a few period examples (example below) where the top rail is mortised into the stiles at an angle - like a kind of open haunched joint - does anybody know the proper name of this type of joint so I can research it? Or better still, how it is best achieved in a neat and good fitting way? Also, do you think on doors like this a cope and stick style joint is what produces the internal bead moulding or is that later applied like a trim or bolection trim? I ask because I'm also wondering the best way to achieve the joint of the muntins at the top rail where they join it at an angle or, in the case of the central muntin, at a "v-shape". There doesnt seem enough good info out there about period doors - or am I looking in the wrong places?

I intend to make a door similar to this except I will be fully glazing it between the muntins and not using a diamond shape central window

de4d4bd9cac5fbb1dde6fded3bc7f5c4.jpg

The two upper corner joints are variations on what's known as the mitre shoulder mortice and tenon. It's a variation because the inset cut from the inside edge of the stile is perpendicular to that edge, whereas the mitred version slopes in from the edge at 45º. As to the rest of your questions, I suspect the muntins and glass beads are scribed into each other rather than mitred, but it's also likely there are at least stub tenons at the end of the three muntins, if not something a bit more substantial. The glazed square panel could be joined to the muntins in two or three different ways, and I know I really haven't got enough time right now to explain how I would tackle the job - sorry, but I hope someone else can help. Slainte.

First thing that came to mind was a 'Gun Stock Mortice & Tenon', if that helps in your research.

Jim

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 18.55.42.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 18.55.42.png
    175.4 KB · Views: 72
I recently made a door using this joint. It is easier than it looks and even easier if you have a copy of Ellis and make the sliding bevel described in that. You can cut the shoulder of the tenon on a table saw. The shoulder of the stile I cut by hand using a paring chisel. I am happy to answer any questions.

Latest posts

Back