Apple Watch....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikNak

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking to (possibly) get my other half an Apple Watch for Xmas.
Anyone out here with one care to give their experience(s) of owning/using one.?

Nick

Yeah I've had three (lost one, then wore another in the sea and erm....lost it) and find they're really useful. Constant notifications can get annoying but easy to switch specific apps off - eg WhatsApp.

Great for sport, accurately records lengths of pool and what stroke I'm doing for swimming. Running has all the GPS stuff so you don't need your phone with you.

Apple Pay is helpful can buy stuff with no wallet or phone to carry around. Just makes life easy when there's stuff you have on your phone but you don't need to keep taking it out of your pocket, e.g. ordering Uber, updates just flash up on your wrist.

Can't think why I'd wear a "normal" watch now to be honest. I still have a couple of nice ones but I couldn't even tell you when the batteries in them last worked.

Downside - has to be charged every day, so very hard to use it for sleep tracking even though you can. I tend to charge it when I'm sitting at my desk, so theoretically could wear it overnight.

I love it. I had a series 3 at first then after some heart trouble I got a 4 (for the ECG function, primitive but useful) and gave the 3 to my son. I've had them about 18 months now and the experience has been good.

The only thing to note so far is that you should not be tempted to use the cheaper third party magnetic charger cables. I tried two (to get spares and one I could leave in my travel bag - remember travel??) and neither worked properly. Have heard reports about some going on fire! Did not charge or did not charge fully. No problem with pukka Apple cables.

Depends on how tech-friendly your OH is, though. Mine isn't, she does email and web searching but that's about it. I tried her on a similar watch for exercise recording and she hated it. Wants a simple Swatch!

Absolutely love mine. I bought a series 1 at launch and have a series 4 now. I have not worn any of my ordinary watches since the day I bought my first Apple Watch. I love the activity tracking, Siri for things like starting timers. I can answer a call, see texts and get weather updates.
Mine seems to think hand planing is washing my hands. Must be the swooshing sound and rhythmic motion 😀

I’m enjoying mine, got the latest one for the heart tracker as was having a few episodes that I wanted to record to show doctors etc.
I didn’t bother with the one you can put a sim in and just use tethered to phone. Haven’t regretted that so far.
The rubber straps are a bit sweaty plastic, so worth going for a nicer one if budget allows

Musicman... like yours mine isn’t the least bit techy either. She started with a cheapie from lidl which she loved, but lost it 🙄 then bought another, a Garmin, must admit I pushed her toward that one due to the long battery life. She not quite hated it. Then got her a Fitbit Charge2 which she loves/loved. Has had it a couple of years but just recently it keeps forgetting it’s ‘link’ with her phone.

What started me thinking about the Apple Watch we’re the ads that keep popping up (on other websites) for the Apple Watch SE. A bit like the new SE phone it’s a paired down version but still tons of spec with a lower price.

So either that one or splurge and go for the 6 as that one has the blood oxygen and ECG... are they gimmicks or worth the extra..?

Plus.... the GPS + cellular model... I’m led to believe, that providing your phones sim is with EE, Vodafone or O2 (but not Tesco or Gifgaf) it magically links your phone with the watches eSim, so you can/could leave your phone at home and just use your watch to receive/make calls, texts, emails etc etc, or have I got that bit wrong.?

A customer came in last week and used his Apple Watch to pay the bill. He tapped a couple things on the screen, put it over the card reader and the transaction was completed. Skip the wallet.
Pete

I had a Garmin 620 for years. It eventually failed as they all do. I was given a Apple Series one, but I admit, watch technology is not my thing, just too much hassle to use, It needs charged every day. I can't wear it in the shower. I daren't wear it cycling, just not rugged enough. My fingers have skin like a rhino and too large to operate the watch accurately, I only wear it when I'm not doing things about the house. It keeps nagging me about Apple Pay.
It's a beautiful wee thing, I do like some of the features, like What'sApp, notifications and reminders, but I would never buy an Apple Watch, It's like trying to look at the world through a keyhole.

If you go for the cellular one you need a new sim, and you used to need a new contract too. Like I said I’ve not missed it as have my phone with me anyway.

The health stuff is only really worth it if you have something you want to monitor- if fit and healthy then you’re not really going to use it for anything.

after wearing a traditional mechanical watch all my life, I'm surprised how light it is, hardly know you are wearing it, was interested in functions but hardly use them now the novelty has worn off.

If you go for the cellular one you need a new sim, and you used to need a new contract too. Like I said I’ve not missed it as have my phone with me anyway.

The health stuff is only really worth it if you have something you want to monitor- if fit and healthy then you’re not really going to use it for anything.
Depends who you are with. I’m with Vodaphone and didn’t need a new SIM

Bought one for eldest last Christmas. Pink one for Mrs ATB for her birthday this year. They both love them. I prefer my conventional self winding watch. Mainly because the watch replicates phone some functionality and I already have a phone.

What started me thinking about the Apple Watch we’re the ads that keep popping up (on other websites) for the Apple Watch SE. A bit like the new SE phone it’s a paired down version but still tons of spec with a lower price.

So either that one or splurge and go for the 6 as that one has the blood oxygen and ECG... are they gimmicks or worth the extra..?

Plus.... the GPS + cellular model... I’m led to believe, that providing your phones sim is with EE, Vodafone or O2 (but not Tesco or Gifgaf) it magically links your phone with the watches eSim, so you can/could leave your phone at home and just use your watch to receive/make calls, texts, emails etc etc, or have I got that bit wrong.?

The SE might suit her well.
Mine doesn't have the blood oxygen. The ECG is useful as I had engine and an angioplasty last year, so I check it now and then, but it is nothing like a full ECG. I don't have the cellular version and have never missed it.

In our our household we all have them. Now we are also bought into the Apple eco system, so it excels.
I got an original series 0 on release and loved it from day one, and it showered just fine! One year my wife bought me the series 2, originally she didn’t originally buy into them but eventually got a cellular series and loved it, as long as the phone is powered on somewhere the watch will work as a phone, she has a few health concerns so all the heart features help.
When the series 5 came out she upgraded, and loves this version, my daughter who still had the by now very slow series 0 inherited the Series 3, mainly as hers was a) old b) my wife wanted her to have something in case she forgot her phone that meant she could communicate or pay for stuff if she forgot her purse (she’s 17).
Today I just went and upgraded my phone, and for the first time have added a cellular version 6 to my contract because the upgrade is now feature rich and there are enough of them and my series 2 can’t leverage all the software enhancements. Adding to the contract means over two years the cost is the same as purchasing the watch, but I get cellular coverage for free, and when the contract ends I’ll put it on sim only.
None of us would be without them, I very rarely wear my traditional watches any more (and being anal hardly ever if I’ve not completely my ‘rings’).
There are many reasons, for me the health and fitness tracking is one reason, being able to discreetly check messages in meetings if needed is another (as someone else said you can choose which ones you allow), I nearly always pay with my watch, I could go on....
I guess as with everything you have to find your own reasons and I only know of one person who tried and didn’t like it....
So a plus three for positive reviews.

HTH

Padster

Original (series 0) Apple Watch owner since they were first available, swore I wouldn’t buy another until they had an always-on display, but cracked and bought a refurb series 3 at a knockdown price - about a week before they introduced the ‘always on‘ display 🤷‍♂️ Only downside is I rarely get to wear my classic watches.

My distinctly non-techie wife has one, my son has a heart condition so finds the ecg on his very useful. If the SE had an always on display I’d have one in a heartbeat, but as it is I’ll wait until next year, see what comes out at the higher end of the range and decide then - Apple have had enough money off me this year! P

So a relatively thumbs up then...?
We buy our phones and have SIM only deals as we keep the phones for a good few years. The thought is to buy the watch, and this is where the confusion lies, can i assume the phone (11pro) is smart enough to 'see' the watch and vice versa, and because the watch has an inbuilt eSim not only does it work but if you leave the phone at home, providing the phone is switched on and sufficient battery life, the watch will act just like a 'phone' on your wrist.? Or... does the phone SIM in the phone need to be replaced/updated with one that will do what i'm hoping..?

Cheers guys for the helpful replies so far.... 👏👏

I didn't bother with the sim version for two reasons, firstly I usually have my phone around so use the watch just to easily check notifications etc, and secondly in the times I don't have my phone with me I'd not be using the watch as a phone anyway because I'd be running, swimming, etc.

An iPhone 11 works just fine with all the available versions, I'm still using my X because I see no reason to upgrade it, in fact I'll probably just get a new battery and squeeze another two or three years out of it.

I'm sure any iPhone 6 or later will see the watch and vice versa. Can't answer your SIM queries, sorry, as I don't have it on my watch (though I can still answer calls on my watch if the phone is in range).

Oh the other neat thing is that navigation instructions from Apple Maps repeat on the watch. Handy if you are navigating in a strange city and don't want to wave your phone around all the time.

@NikNak you just get a sim only deal for the watch (ensuring you buy a cellular version) from one of the carriers offering it - It will work fine with an iPhone11.
SO whilst my new one I've ordered will be on contract and my my wifes, our daughter is sim only.

HTH

Padster

Back