Anything woody to see/buy in Hereford?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fromey

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm on holiday next week in Hereford (staying in Peterchurch, Golden Valley).

Just wondering if there is anything in the area to interest a handtool enthusiast. Second hand tools for instance?

Thanks

The number of places where you can turn up and look at secondhand tools in a shop is dwindling fast - I think you had better stop off on the way and visit Bristol Design, or re-time your visit to June 7 which looks like the next suitable auction at H J Pugh.

There are a large selection of timber framed buildings around the area, there's the one in the centre of Hereford that is now a museum. They moved it on roller-skates or something when redeveloping the centre. Hay-on-Wye has a few antique shops that have the odd Pledge polished wooden plane but not a great deal. St. Peter's in Peterchurch is a pretty amazing building. I spent a lot of time there as a child and was at the primary school in my first year. We used to attempt spear fishing in the brook that runs through the woods behind the church. Very beautiful countryside most of the year, enjoy yourself.

zb1":3irf8hxe said:
St. Peter's in Peterchurch is a pretty amazing building.
It's one of the only two churches in Britain with a fibreglass spire. It's probably worth your going to Hay-on-Wye (second-hand book capital of Britain) while you're there, lots of old and new books on various aspects of woodwork to be found. While you're in the area, have a look at Partrishow church. It's one of the few churches Cromwell's lot didn't ruin, so it's still has it's original pre-puritan decoration.

Thanks all for your suggestions. Thanks Peter for the invitation. Tempting but it might be hazardous to my wallet and marriage. Hay-on-Wye was in the target but I think St Peter's will also be now.

Peter Sefton":1m9e8gpm said:
Ledbury is a very nice town lots of interiors shops,

That's where my Dad and his wife have their shop (my father is a cabinet maker), however I think their shop is more nic-nacs and shabby chic kind of things

Woody stuff a bit limited without some traveling, however Abby Dore just down road keep her in doors happy, Wye Valley Beekeepers for some thing different and if you've got the time there's an excellent but unassuming woodworker in Abergavenny that a public right of way runs through his workshops. Name escapes me but will post soon.
If you're interested in Dr Who there were some old Daleks stored in a garage in Grosmont ?????
Falcon Woodwork
Pwll-yr-Hunt, Pontrilas, Pontrilas, HR2 0HF

You could try Pen Tools in Hereford although they rarely have handtools and TBH I think their secondhand prices are a bit steep. But they do have a good showroom full of nice shiny things.

If you do go to Ledbury try out Chez Pascal especially if it's sunny as he has a nice courtyard cafe/restaurant...

There used to be General Tool Company (IIRC) in Ross although last time I went wasn't that impressed.

And lastly there is a timber merchant in Widemarsh Street. Not been there since they took over the yard so can't comment.

And if you are feeling energetic then there are always the Malvern Hills.

And don't forget that nice toolshop in Upton-on-Severn.....run by Peter somebody...can't remember who :-"

Hivenhoe":35qah4gc said:
Falcon Woodwork, Pwll-yr-Hunt, Pontrilas, Pontrilas, HR2 0HF
If you happen to be in Pontrilas on the right weekend, there's a monthly auction sale at "Nigel Ward & Co" - always worth a visit, 3 auctions going on at once - it's where I picked up my first woodturning lathe, as a 'box of bits' for a fiver.

Back