anyone seen my 6" rule??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
I've lost it, my favourite. It was an old Rabone, nice thick steel and metric one side.
I have a Moore & Wright - too thin and flimsy.
I have a Fischer - too narrow, too thin, and flimsy
I have a 100mm out of a Christmas cracker - best of the three by far.

Does anyone know of the existence of a sturdy 150mm steel rule, ideally no imperial at all, and no 1/2mm graduation??

There's a 150mm Starrett (Dictum stock them) that has end graduations, perfect for measuring the reveal/off-set of a rail from a stile for example, and you can choose to read left-right or right-left with either full mill only or with half mills depending on which way up you orientate the ruler.

http://www.fine-tools.com/mass.html

For a titchy little ruler it costs a bomb, but this is a tool that'll have to be pried from my cold dead hands!

I have an old rabone steel rule in shed if you are interested, Sure we could sort a price out agreeable to both of us,not looking for a fortune.

Stop looking for it & start looking for something else, I nearly always find items from previous fruitless searches when looking for other things

IHc1vtr+":t05wemek said:
I have an old rabone steel rule in shed if you are interested, Sure we could sort a price out agreeable to both of us,not looking for a fortune.

So that's where I left it. Knew it would turn up somewhere :lol:
I'd tried Dictum but wasn't sure about the Starrett, may have missed that they do a metric only.
Hadn't thought to check Dieter Schmidt, and RS got overlooked too.
I can see one at 23 euros but where does the 42 quid come from?

At the moment it's looking like the Starrett, with IHc1vtr+'s shed find as back up.

thanks for help!!

Steve Maskery":uuwavfso said:
20 Euro I could contemplate for a good 6" rule, but £42.47? It had better be $%^&*(*&^% good.

Where are you getting £42.47 from? It's Euro 22.90.

You need an account to get sensible prices from RS

I was surprised when you said your Moore & Wright was too flimsy Douglas, as I have several M&W rules of which non are that thin so as to be flimsy, looking at workshop heaven I noticed this
http://www.workshopheaven.com/tools/Moo ... -inch.html
Which got me wondering if in fact your M&W rule is a flexible one & hence flimsy.

As it would appear they make rules of differing thickness it might be worth finding a local supplier who would be in the best position to tell you what rules are available.

Roughcut":2mu83jeo said:
RogerP":2mu83jeo said:
Have a look on RS, they seem to have quite an assortment of which this is just one example.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/rules/4501377/

Crazy, I can't believe anyone trade or otherwise would pay that sort of price? :shock:

Hmm. It's quite common for engineers to work for a company.
And for a company to have an RS account.

When the engineer needs an 'X', he gets the nod from his boss, and buys the 'X'
from RS.

I'm not sure the price is ever a factor in this.

RS often has FILTHY prices for common items, although you can at least trust the quality to be pretty good.

It's a brand (or sometimes re-brand) well worth looking out for at car boots.

BugBear

We used RS quite a bit at the last school I worked in.

Big discount, always have stock and reliable next day free delivery for the smallest item, 60 day account, massive range of goods.

Found the 42 quidder... RS, so it has a radio (wireless) built in?
Yes, I suspect I have the thin flexi M&W. I shall investigate.
I don't know about the current Rabones as they are credited Rabone/Stanley, which makes me suspicious.
I might call Matthew at WH, the M&W is pretty good if it was a stiffer version.

Seems quite a fuss on my part over a simple thing, but it is one of the absolute core basics and small differences count.

p.s. and cannot see a 6" M&W on WH except the flexi one. Call needed.

I like the fact you describe it as a six inch rule and then say you prefer it not to have imperial marks :shock:

bugbear":1efot7gw said:
RS often has FILTHY prices for common items, although you can at least trust the quality to be pretty good.

I don't know about that. RS own brand (re-badged) tends to be rubbish in terms of longevity and only pennies cheaper than mainstream brands.

I've had numerous RS branded items over the years, mistakenly looking at initial outlay as the main influence, and they've just not been up to scratch. I've had cutters and strippers fall apart in normal use, crimpers that fail strain tests, VDE screwdrivers that the blade just spins inside the insulation, the list goes on.

Back