Underbench Cabinet: Drawers 3 and 4

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
UnderbenchCabinetBehindDrawer1_html_m5a0ab82.jpg

Moving across to top right. This is a drawer for wheel cutting gauges ...

6.jpg

I went through many ideas before coming up with this design. Simple, but effective for access and keeping the gauges from moving around.

7.jpg

Two Tite Marks with fine adjusters and two Veritas gauges (these were a steal several years ago - Anniversary gauges in stainless steel. Brilliant!). The gauge at the front is one I built. My idea of Veritas-going-Japanese :)

5.jpg

Everything is removable. The slots for the arms were made with a fluting blade in a Veritas Combination Plane ...

8.jpg

Drawer #4 was much more work. Much more.

This is the middle drawer, second row. The drawer above holds large squares. This drawer holds more squares, small ones for joinery ....

9.jpg

The only way to keep these from moving around in a drawer is to french fit them ...

11.jpg

The little "dot" at the top end is a rare earth magnet. This is to keep extra blades (for the squares) from getting lost.

12.jpg

This is where I moved the Veritas sliding square. There is a Vesper small double square along with a similar Starrett. These are so useful for checking dovetail sockets. Below is my favourite double square, a 4" Moore & Wright, along with a 4" vintage Browne & Sharpe machinist square.

Now slide the top tray away, and below are large and small Starrett dividers, and a vintage Starrett compass ...

10.jpg

Again french fit to prevent any sliding around ...

13.jpg

I managed to get all these rules inside the drawer - Starrett and Mitutoyo in metric and imperial ...

16.jpg

Easier to stack them this way ...

15.jpg

Two more drawers, and I am going to call it quits for a while. Lynndy has orders for night stands.

I hope you are still having fun! :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Very nice Derek. However, you'll never be able to find anything if you keep things that tidy!

you should see my workbench drawer compared to this! lol pretty messy, love the attention to detail Derek, beautifully made as usual.

Latest posts

Back