Anyone know what these are please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahking51

Established Member
Reaction score
Found these two items in a box of rust and have no idea what they are.
Obviously the big one is a wrench but why the double jaw arrangement? I can only assume it has a special purpose of some sort. Need to be a hefty lad to swing that all day!
gizmo02.jpg

gizmo01.jpg

Regards
Martin

top one looks kind of like an abingdon king dick adjustable spanner.
wonder whether the double jaws which i have not seen before, are for a special purpose, within a confined space. i have an old single sided pair of these. they were in some ways a precursor to a mole wrench, in that it was possible to tighten them somewhat.

second one looks to me like a special kind of archimedes thread drill.
are the things at the bottom jaws, or!!!!! could it be a nut splitter???

not sure if it helps, but might start the conversation
paul :wink:

Jarviser":a7vzmxhu said:
The first one is easy - one side of the spanner is for imperial and one side for metric :wink:

Or left and right handed people! :wink: :wink: :roll:

Adam

Adam":1k46oxqr said:
Jarviser":1k46oxqr said:
The first one is easy - one side of the spanner is for imperial and one side for metric :wink:

Or left and right handed people! :wink: :wink: :roll:
Or one for tightening and the other for loosening. :whistle:

Adam wrote:
Jarviser wrote:
The first one is easy - one side of the spanner is for imperial and one side for metric

Or left and right handed people!

Or one for tightening and the other for loosening.

Dave

Or one for Nuts and one for Bolts :wink:

Bean

Sorry

BB
Well done on the shoe stretcher, would never have got it in a million years
Do you want it? :)

What about the weird wrench, you know you can do it! :lol:

Regards
Martin

Jarviser":2du1of27 said:
Bugbear, you are a true Mendologist. I often raid old trouser and tie presses for the clamps but I never thought of shoe stretchers!

Peter.

I think 2 ideas just crossed on the net. I've never thought of looking at trouser and tie presses.

BugBear

come on rob, is that what we call a buggy or what the murrucans call one??

in the "old Country", a buggy tends to be a childs mobile chair, not a horse drawn vehicle.

you have to give us even more clues :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

engineer one":24fhopkh said:
come on rob, is that what we call a buggy or what the murrucans call one??

in the "old Country", a buggy tends to be a childs mobile chair, not a horse drawn vehicle.

you have to give us even more clues :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know - I actually thought about that for a split second.... but thought youse guys used "pram"....never had a clue about a mobile chair though.

I suppose if your mobile chair had 4ft dia spoked wooden wheels, then one could call it buggy wrench.... :roll: :lol:

Cheers -

Rob

well rob, knowing you are of " a certain age", i guess they might also have been called push chairs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

just with all this mobile technology now, who knows ??????

Rob,
Thanks for the input, can you elaborate one the reason for the odd shape please?
I was amused by the earlier 'one side for doing up, the other for undoing..' :)
Regards
martin

mahking51":31wko8et said:
Rob,
Thanks for the input, can you elaborate one the reason for the odd shape please?
I was amused by the earlier 'one side for doing up, the other for undoing..' :)
Regards
martin

Hi Martin -

Can't see the detail in the photo clearly - but buggy wrenches of this style had one side with flat jaws, and one side with "V" shaped jaws....

Found a photo here:

http://www.davistownmuseum.org/pics/041403t1.jpg

This wrench was patented by H A Thompson on Nov. 2, 1880 and produced by the Portland Wrench Co. in Maine. In 1886,
Portland Wrench was reorganized as the Diamond Wrench Co. In 1893, the company went bankrupt. In the interim, these
companies produced some of the most interesting small and medium sized buggy wrenches of any American companies.
These Portland made wrenches are among the most sought after specimens of 19th century wrench producers.

Item 6260789157 currently in eBay illustrates this well....

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee":28kqdcsn said:
I suppose if your mobile chair had 4ft dia spoked wooden wheels, then one could call it buggy wrench.... :roll: :lol:
Rob, they did when Paul was a baby :wink:

I would have said "Does this mean we can expect a LV buggy wrench soon" but I think we did that joke too many times!

well it's true my hand me down was a hand me down to the previous couple of owners so i would guess that god was a small lad when it was originally bought :lol: :lol:

i guess what we do need though is an LV multi tool for plane nuts, rather than one for fruit and nuts????????????? :lol: :lol:

Back