Anyone know the diameter of Festool Kapex columns?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Kitchener

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at the Kapex 88 but the width of cut isn't wide enough as is. I note that the motor part slides on two horizontal columns and as the intended machine is the equivalent of a radial arm saw I'm considering the possibility of using the Kapex motor on two longer columns which would be supported at each end. I wouldn't need the base as I shall only ever be making right-angle cuts.

Any help appreciated, I don't have a dealer near me onto whose display model I could discreetly place a vernier caliper.

Sounds like you are trying to make a radial arm saw.

Pete

A saw that makes cuts wider than a Kapex 88 :wink:

Pete

Main characteristic of a radial arm saw is that it can turn around a central point (the vertical column) in order to make cuts other than right angles. My saw will only cut right angles and that will enable me to support the horizontal columns at both ends.

There was a make called Eumenia, IIRC, many years ago that did something similar, though not so well.

Lord Kitchener":3qj3owjk said:
Main characteristic of a radial arm saw is that it can turn around a central point (the vertical column) in order to make cuts other than right angles. My saw will only cut right angles and that will enable me to support the horizontal columns at both ends.

There was a make called Eumenia, IIRC, many years ago that did something similar, though not so well.
Yes i remember that, in fact i almost bought one lol.

Could you not make something similar using a circular saw? Could be cheaper than a kapex?

Won't the front support just get in the way?

It seems to me you are making a machine with only one function when a RAS will do the same job and more for less cost.

Pete

I can what you are trying to do, but why would you want to cannibalise an expensive Festool when any sliding compound saw will do the trick?

I can see the argument for buying a Kapex, but not sure I see the validity in only using part of it - the beauty of Festool is its combined parts.

Scratch that last question.

I see the reason now for using a Kapex, it slides on the rails as opposed to a fixed saw head having rails slide on the rear of the base.

Thanks chaps, but this isn't about cost, it's about accuracy and quality of cut. The fence will have a digital stop and I will be looking for accuracy of better than .5mm, and dead square in both planes.

Radial arm saws wobble about too much, and only enormous ones have the kind of crosscut I am looking for (700mm minimum).

Lord Kitchener":2fertk0k said:
Thanks chaps, but this isn't about cost, it's about accuracy and quality of cut. The fence will have a digital stop and I will be looking for accuracy of better than .5mm, and dead square in both planes.

Radial arm saws wobble about too much, and only enormous ones have the kind of crosscut I am looking for (700mm minimum).

Lord K

I think I see your objective here, Google Kapex and panel saw as this is similar I think to what you want to do, albeit on a different plane, here is an example;

http://festoolownersgroup.com/various-w ... x!!!/?wap2

I'm sure further searching will give results. Someone may have sourced suitable rails and posted the dimensions.

Do you mean something along these lines?

m250_diamond_rail_saw.jpg

I Googled diamond rail saw

Mark

Attachments

• m250_diamond_rail_saw.jpg
    m250_diamond_rail_saw.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 47
petermillard":xun565zb said:
The columns are 30mm on my Kapex 120 - 30.02 if you want to be picky ;)

HTH Pete

It does indeed, Pete, and it's good news as 30mm is a standard size for CNC rails and supports. Cheers

mark aspin":xun565zb said:
Do you mean something along these lines?

Yes, indeed. That's the general idea.

There was a kapex on eBay the other day spares or repair , might have been good for you if your going to pull it apart anyway

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

owen":3qv485hz said:
How about using a track saw??

I've been using a TS55 ( I have two of them, the eldest celebrates its 10th birthday this year) as a dedicated crosscut saw for the last few years. It suffers a couple of drawbacks, first is that is has to rest on the material and therefore the height has to be adjusted every time the thickness is changed, and second that there is always a little bit of sideways motion of the saw on the track (otherwise it wouldn't slide on the track) and that reduces absolute accuracy.

Back