Anyone have problems with quality control on a LN plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carpenteire2009

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, first post here and a long one too, sorry! I've been lurking now for a long time, what a great site! I'm just curious to hear from other tool users on their experiences of quality control when purchasing tools from the quality makers like Clifton, Veritas and in particular LN.

I've had issues with my most recent purchases of LN planes, a LN No. 4 and a LN 5 1/2. Both were bought from different online suppliers in the UK. The no. 4 had a "sloppy" Y lever which I wasn't happy with; the supplier referred me directly to LN USA who dealt with the issue, but were quite adamant that the part in question was "within tolerances". Having paid so much for a quality tool I wasn't happy and they eventually shipped a replacement part which was far superior in fit and finish; job sorted.

My most recent experience in purchasing a 5 1/2 was also disappointing. The plane's packaging was badly damaged during transit which immediately set me in "detective mode"! On examination of the plane I found that the spring on the lever cap was loose and inclined to move when the lateral adjustment lever was operated. I notified the supplier and a replacement plane was delivered, without quibble. The replacement duly arrived and imagine my disbelief when I found that the "play" on the second lever cap was even worse! Ok, I'm a craftsman I could simply peen over the rivet and see if this improved things, or so I thought. I tried it, it didn't work and I didn't want to mess up an expensive tool. Again I got back onto the supplier and a replacement was sent out, again without quible (their customer service was excellent and I'll buy from them again). At last the lever cap was satisfactory and I could finally use my plane, after more than a month of patient waiting!

To sum up I think I'd have to think long and hard before I'd buy LN again; ok, when you get a good one it's a beauty and so nice to use and own, but if my experiences of quality control are typical well then that's another matter.

By contrast I've a number of planes from Veritas and one from Clifton; all were perfect from day one and more than met my expectations.

Anyone else got a story to tell?

Well that is worrying. Part of the reason for buying an expensive plane like a LN is because you "can be sure it'll work correctly" out of the box.

If that isn't the case, and I probably couldn't identify the issues you had, then whats the point of the LN in the first place?

Pete

Hi,

I have a 60 1/2 no problems, I guess you are unlucky.

Pete

I suspect that a lot of users will buy their planes from well established firms like Axminster or CHT, in which case if there is any sort of an issue, just contact the firm and explain the problem. Axminster have an excellent after sales service so there ought not to be any problems.
I have a couple of LN planes, a No9 and a 60.5 block, both of which have been excellent - Rob

One of the planes was supplied by Axminster, another by Rutlands; customer service from each was excellent in each case but it was still disappointing that LN would ship tools with a fairly obvious defect, twice in the case of the 5 1/2.

I had an issue with a small shoulder plane lever cap. The screw was bored off centre to the casting and the thread came through the side of the metal.

LN were excellent and sent me another lever cap, blow me if it didn't have the same problem. The next time they sent me a complete new plane which was inspected first and was perfect. Their attitude to resolving the problem was really good, never any question that it was their liability to fix it.

It did leaving me wondering how something with an obvious defect could leave the factory, twice!

Ed

It's a real shame if Lie Nielsen's quality control has slipped. It was Lie Nielsen who kick-started the renaissance in quality hand tools and created the environment in which people like Veritas were able to flourish.

I do hope this is a one-off experience.

The only issue I`ve had with an expensive tool was a fishtail chisel from Blue Spruce, when it arrived in its lovely box the African Blackwood handle was chipped, Classic Handtools replaced it without question.
Perhaps one of you can answer a question for me, some of you refer to yourselves as "Master" furniture makers or "Master" cabinet makers, others refer to themselves as just Cabinet makers or Furniture makers. What makes you masters master, is it time, qualifications or are you self pronounced "Masters"?

Phew that was a lot of masters.

Kind regards, Mark W

I wondered the same thing when I first joined, but its an automatic thing depending on the number of posts, not some kind of self-agrandising labelling fashion!

Ed

Some of us have reached the upper echelons...

EdSutton":z9afserw said:
I wondered the same thing when I first joined, but its an automatic thing depending on the number of posts, not some kind of self-agrandising labelling fashion!

Ed

and in some cases - notably mine - it couldnt be more inaccurate

"danger, deranged moose with chainsaw" would be closer to the mark :D

I know people in the kitchen trade who discribe themselves as cabinet makers, which on the face of it is true, but five pieces of melamine board screwed and doweled together is not quite the same.

Kind regards, Mark W

Personally I wish "they" would drop the damn silly thing. (hammer)

It must be very intimidating to Newbies thinking we are in some way skilled when in actual fact our grand title is really an indication that we are sad & lonely Billy No mates :lol:

Back to topic. I believe that all planes require work (maybe my Holtey 982 won't when it arrives), but then I went on DC's course. The last four LNs I bought have definitely not been right out of the box. I can show pictures if you like. On two of them I came close to returning them, but decided to fix them myself. LN quality control / standards are definitely getting worse. Perhaps it is an inevitable consequence of success. Having said that, I'd still choose a new LN over a new Stanley, Record or LV.

T.L-N pm me and I'll give you my home address for you to send me some well made samples. ;)

Its coming to something when the only thing you can do to combat declining LN quality is to buy a Holtey!

Not jealous at all....

Ed

Back