Anyone had a go at transferring a photo to wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
martinka":2dcd09du said:
Seems to have lots of possibilities in conjunction with scroll work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ-fSm9LyOs

The video is drawn out so you can skip quite a lot of it, but it's the first UK one I found. Plenty more video tutorials on youtube.

A friend of mine has done this. It takes a bit of practice to get a good result. And you must remember to print out the pictures backwards or you will end up with a mirror image.

At my last craft fair we had a new couple with their stall selling odd bits and pieces but they did have some wood with photos on them the same as Martin mentioned. The wood the couple used was 7 x 2 and looked as if it came from a building site as the ends were rough and it was tanalised and looked awful. If I see them next time I will make some enquiries.

we used to use this approach for putting new decals on things.
biggest issue for use was that you can't print white.

will work with other surfaces as well, not just wood, so acrylics are fair game too which would make for an interesting job with suitable cutting work too.

I enjoyed watching the video and thought the technique was interesting. Since then I've been trying to thing of how I could use it in a scroll saw project but the old grey cells haven't come up with anything yet.

Samfire":31sbsamq said:
I enjoyed watching the video and thought the technique was interesting. Since then I've been trying to thing of how I could use it in a scroll saw project but the old grey cells haven't come up with anything yet.

Hmm, maybe there's not as many photo frames made as the old Hobbies plans would lead one to believe. :wink:

I've never tried a photo Martin but I do transfer nearly all of my patterns on to the wood now using a laser printer and xylene. It's very quick to do, gets rid of the need for tape, glue etc and no flapping of the pattern at inopertune moments!

It doesn't come off when you rub it and just requires a light sand to get rid of any lines that are left.

You can even print out a sheet full of signatures, (in reverse) and use them to sign your work when your finished.

Ed

They are not to bad as long as you get a mono one, £50 will get you one. The toners last for ages,far cheaper to run than an ink jet, quality of print is much better as well.

Can get expensive for a colour one but not needed for what a scroller would use it for.

Just had a quick look on the PC World site, they have a Samsung on offer for £39.99.

I have a Brother, they are all pretty much the same at that price range, just check on the price of the toners before you buy, an extra £10 on the printer could save you £10 on every toner you buy! :wink:

Ed

Hmm, it might be worth considering at those prices. It'd maybe save on other consumables eventually, if I live long enough. :)

I did have a big old mono laser printer, before I got an interest in scrolling, that I eventually scrapped as it nearly needed a room to itself. I had, and most likely still have, a few boxes of bits that I saved when i dismantled it that will come in handy even if I never use them. :mrgreen:

Back