Anyone got time for an online apprentice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exigetastic

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just ordered myself a router table (thanks to all that I asked about the morticer)

But it has dawned on me that new tools probably aren't the solution to my lack of skills :oops:

The how-to's on the site are great, but without someone scrutinising the results, you lose an important part of the learning process.

I am thinking menial tasks an apprentice would have to do*, and am prepared to document/photo my attempts for all to have a good giggle over, on the proviso I get some constructive criticism!

Si

* I am not going to the shops to fetch a "long weight", "new bubble for spirit level" or a "left handed hammer" before anyone asks.

I am sure most of us on here have time for you, post away and ask to your hearts delight. We are all here to help and I don't think you will find a better bunch of helpers than right here. Look forward to seeing your efforts. :wink:

Hi Si,

I recon you should feel free to post any and all of your efforts on here and I'm sure several of the folks here will be able to give you constructive criticism. Between the members of this forum there are many years of experience, both good and bad. I think it's fair to say that everyone wants you to do well, so go for it and remember to enjoy whatever it is that you make. Your sure to learn as you go!

Good luck,

Richard

Si, don't forget the bucket of steam and a sky hook, I had to go to the stores and ask for them as well, :oops:
Good luck with your endeavours,
Rich.

Now, when you've made the tea :lol: :lol:

All you have to do is post, everyone on this forum is very helpful and its certain that someone will come up with the answer, remember there is n such thing as a stupid question.

I hope you'll learn as much as I have, mind you I'm still learning.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys!

But who is going to be the first to suggest a "first" job to try.....

I have plenty of scrap softwood, so what is it to be!

Bench hook? (i) :idea:

But hey I'm the monkey you're the organ grinders you decide!!!

Si

The old tradition was a toolbox, wasn't it?
A bench hook is a start, but even I can make those - but it is very useful. I need to get on and make a big one for longer pieces.

HI Si, funny you mentioned a bench hook , that WAS the first thing I attempted,I used oak offcuts from a friend and I tried to drive brass screws into it without drilling pilot holes, the heads sheared off, first lesson learnt, you will get a lot of advice on this forum, most of it will be right, some will be wrong, but NONE will be bad, like yourself I'm learning and enjoying it and if my experience is anything to go by, you will make some good friends, the best advice I can give you is, don't be frightened to ask the simplest question, you'll be surprised how quick the response to help is.
regards,
Rich.

Funny you should say that. My son came round today, apparently to laugh and pour scorn on my screws. One-timers he calls them. In fact they are brass slotheads - I carefully drill a pilot hole, drive in a crosshead and then replace it, but he thinks I should just whack a Goldscrew in and forget it. What have I raised?

He also mocked my bench hook, and suggested I use a workmate...

Builders, eh?

I totally agree with Rich - the patience of people here is immense.

Si

A well made bench hook will serve you well for many future projects. Its a good place to start, maybe plane up a couple of boards and join them to make the base. Lots of things to learn from such a simple tool.

Bob

Well said smudger, you also have patience, I'll take this opportunity to apologise for my undeserved comments that I recently made and hope that we may become friends whilst having different opinions on things.
I'm SORRY,
regards,
Rich.

I know the original question was "light hearted" but it does bring to mind a "dilemma" that this country faces, for you see the average age of the forum members is about 50 if I'm right,as there is no positive programme to promote apprenticeships, I'm worried that regardless of what trade we are all in, when our generation "departs" who is going to pass on the knowledge, at the end of the day, one thing I am sure of is that computers will not jump off a desk and repair something, if you get my drift.
What does the panel think?
RICH.
PS. I did'nt mean to hijack your thread Si, my apologies.

I couldn't agree more Rich. I have often wondered what will happen now apprentiships are a none entity. Mind you true craftsmanship has been on the decline for while now, I am afraid it is a throwaway society where quality is on the decline to make way for the cheap and cheerful. :cry:

We're doing our best at our school - we have 2 classes of carpenters and joiners, mostly doing well. They get a lot of time with a couple of real craftsmen, and the head of department is a woody. And of course I poke my nose in from time to time. But that all depends on having the staff and the facilities, and the future of neither is certain.

The other part of the deal is that there are many kids, and presumably older people, who are not 100% suited to 'academic' courses, and find that they have practical skills, some bordering on giftedness. They need some way of developing their talents, both to meet the economy's need for craftsmen and to get proper self-fulfilment.

That's not the case when I see what you make Mailee, but then you are an accomplished and confident person in what you do, they don't even have woodwork or metalwork in my boys school!!! can you believe it? everything seems to be computer orientated, although the youngest lad has to do cooking once a week, big deal, is this mad or what?.
Rich.

Rich":11aj473i said:
I know the original question was "light hearted" but it does bring to mind a "dilemma" that this country faces, for you see the average age of the forum members is about 50 if I'm right,as there is no positive programme to promote apprenticeships, I'm worried that regardless of what trade we are all in, when our generation "departs" who is going to pass on the knowledge, at the end of the day, one thing I am sure of is that computers will not jump off a desk and repair something, if you get my drift.
What does the panel think?
RICH.
PS. I did'nt mean to hijack your thread Si, my apologies.

No worries for hijacking the thread!

I can see your point, my father fits into your generalisation of the older generation being the proper craftsmen. He did an old school apprenticeship at the electricity board. The breadth of his practical skills is a brilliant reference for me. Pretty much everything I have ever need to do as a DIY project he'll know something about it. (From groundworks to plumbing as well as obviously electrics)

My "trade" is in software, so knowing a fair bit about PCs, I end up trading skills with him, as he is pretty computer illiterate :lol:

Si

Back