Anyone got a Myford size headstock tap in Bristol / Glos?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've got a damaged chuck thread that I need to clean up for a Myford lathe. Does anyone have a 1 1/8", 12 tpi witworth tap in the Bristol / Glos area I could borrow to clean up the thread?

THanks

Simon

Wildman":w6ga34tn said:
why not turn one?

I know it's a bit lame but my metal turning is not up to my woodturning just yet - I'm a bit of a newbie and trying to get my lathe commissioned so I don't have an internal thread witworth profiled boring bar, my ML7 does not have a gearbox and I think the change wheels are for a different lathe as they do not have keyways plus I'm not sure how I'd hold the existing backplate so the bore was concentric and time is short thus the option to spin a tap down the existing thread seemed a good "plan A" (but suggestions for plan B, C and D are of course welcome!).

Thanks,

Simon

How badly mangled is the thread? Just thinking that if it' badly chewed up, re-tapping may leave you with runout on the Chuck. On the other hand, if the damage is not too serious, you could probably clean it up with a 12 tpi chaser, which might be easier to source? At a pinch, you could possibly make a good enough chaser with a session of careful measuring and filing.

Good luck looking for a tap. The condition of the thread shouldn't affect the runout as this is more a factor of the register. Obviously it's got to be good enough to hold the chuck though. As mentioned another backplate is an option and a good machining exercise. You don't want to damage the threads on the headstock though. +1 for asking on madmodder or the myfordlathes yahoo group for the tap.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

A chaser would be much easier than centring and threadcutting, and they are pretty available in imperial sizes. You might find a tap on eBay though.

Keith

Back