anyone got a camvac

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trojan62

Established Member
Reaction score
hi
1. recentley i was given an aeg dust extractor, it has aeg on the side but is basically identicle to a camvac.
its a twin motor unit. my problem is that one of the motors only starts intermitantly or sometimes not at all.
ive noticed that the dodgey motor sparks quite a bit more than the good one and the brushes dont look too good.
would this be my problem, needing new brushes.

2. also i have the cloth bag filter that goes over the outside of the drum, but no paper bags to go round the motors, can i use it with just the bag filter or do i really need the paper bags on the motor as well.

thanks in advance

regards....

chris.......

I have a camvac, had it about 10 years although it is just the single motor version.

It sounds like it is a supply issue rather than your motor. There could be several causes for the sparking and intermitent functioning of the motor however.

It could as you suspect be the brushes causing the problem, if you do need to change them be sure to change the brushes on the other motor at the same time. However, before you do that, consider continuity problems caused by poorly connected or frayed flex or wiring.

I am not an electrician but simple jobs are within my skill base. If it were me I would check the connections at the plug first, the constant "humming" of an electrical supply can and does vibrate the terminal screws loose, not to mention pulling the plug from the socket. Also check the terminals at the motor end, ensuring they are tight and there are no cracks or fraying to the cable sheathing. I had to make a repair to the rubber grommet where the flex entered the machine. The rubber split exposing the wiring beneath. Next, check for continuity of each wire in the flex from the plug to the motor, you will need a small test meter for this though (or a simple car bettery bulb with a couple of probes powered by a 9V battery), it is a very simple test, just set the meter to the lowest Ohms setting and connect a probe to each end of your wire within the flex (eg live wire at the plug and motor end) be sure to remove the ends of the wire from the plug and the motor terminal for an accurate reading. If you have a reading you have continuity, no reading means the wire is broken or frayed somewhere along its lenght, so just replace the flex then re-test for continuity, then test the machine. All these checks can be done by you and don't cost anything. Failing that, pull out the brushes. If they are worn it will be apparent. If they are worn, you should see the base of the stud showing through the base of the carbon on the brush, they will need to be replaced. Again a very simple job and not expensive.

If these checks are done and all found to be correct you may need to have it professionally checked out. I took a mitre saw (12" Bosch)in for repair recently. It was £22 to have the machine checked and the faults identified. Should you proceed with the work that initial fee of £22 is taken from the total repair billing. I would suspect the repair may still be worth the cost compared to the expense of a new camvac, which are of course expensive machines.

Remember however, if it is an electrical fault don't take chances, sparks and dust do not tend to have a happy ending.

With regards the brown paper bag. It will work without it, but it is there to protect the motor. Mine has the same bag as when I bought it, including the original rubber band which secures the bag to the cylindrical motor. Not very high tech, which means it can be easily replaced, a brown paper grocery bag will suffice.

Good luck with it.

Bluekingfisher":kx1rxjk1 said:
.... a brown paper grocery bag will suffice.

Good luck with it.

I know it looks like one but I'd be worried about the porosity of a grocery bag being enough to let air flow through it.

To the OP...almost certainly brushes. Easy enough to check. Just take them out and look at them. Make a note of which one goes where and also which way up in case you need top put them back in.

RogerS":341p9ri2 said:
Bluekingfisher":341p9ri2 said:
.... a brown paper grocery bag will suffice.

Good luck with it.

I know it looks like one but I'd be worried about the porosity of a grocery bag being enough to let air flow through it.

To the OP...almost certainly brushes. Easy enough to check. Just take them out and look at them. Make a note of which one goes where and also which way up in case you need top put them back in.

If you saw it you would know what I mean.

Not something I would normally set out to do, although next time I'm in the shop I'm going to give it a go (not actually bust it, just enough to verify the theory).

Then I'll offer you another large slice of that humble pie. (providing theory is correct of course)

Bluekingfisher":3fdljhsm said:
Not something I would normally set out to do, although next time I'm in the shop I'm going to give it a go (not actually bust it, just enough to verify the theory).

Then I'll offer you another large slice of that humble pie. (providing theory is correct of course)
:D This is when you discover you have counterfeit bags !! :wink:

At risk of dragging this one out, I just want to convince myself that I am not actually going mad.

My initial response to the OP's question mentioned making use of a brown paper grocery bag as a replacement filter for the Camvac motor. It was pointed out by one or two the bags were not actually paper. Although, I was convinced mine was, I conceded the fact and accepted I had given incorrect advice.

I subsequently attended the N of E woodworking show where I stumbled on the Camvac stand. I had a chat with the stand attendant on the merits of the machine. He informed me the Camvac brand has now been taken over by Record Power, offering a 5 year warranty on the Camvacs, as opposed to the one year warranty provided by the original company. It was then I ordered 2 x 3 three packs of motor filters, (total of around £6 or so). I remembered the content of this thread and asked to see the filters for a comparison. Unfortunately there were no filters left on the stand so they had to be ordered for home delivery. I did ask to see the filters on the machine most similar to mine - Well! I can now see the difference. The filter on the new machine was indeed a porous lined filter bag with a glassy surface. In addition, there was a fabric filter underneath that. This particular filter was not included with my machine, so I ordered one of those too.

When I got home I doubled checked the filter on mine - it is definately just a brown paper bag, held on by a large rubber elastic band, the type used by your postman to hold the mail in bundles.

My machine was purchased new in 2000/2001 so I should imagine technology has improved some since then. Despite my Camvac only being used for hobby woodworking it does a fair amount of work and the original filter (brown paper bag) albeit a little crumpled now is still in a servicable condition. I only hope the new filters have a longevity somewhere close to the original "bag". If not....................Viva the brown paper grocery bag!

BKF...interesting and excellent post, thanks. It's possible that the previous owner was feeling parsimonious and simply replaced the official bag with 'greengrocer's best' !!

I'm not happy that Record have taken over Camvac. Another piece of good engineering now to be made in China at the cheapest possible price!

Roger,

Bluekingfisher":kh1sbhmw said:
My machine was purchased new in 2000/2001

RogerS":kh1sbhmw said:
BKF...interesting and excellent post, thanks. It's possible that the previous owner was feeling parsimonious and simply replaced the official bag with 'greengrocer's best' !!

I don't believe that there was a previous owner.

Neil

I'm sure in the letter I got from CamVac saying that Record Power had bought them suggested that all the staff were being kept on and intimated that the machines would still be made in the UK.

But for how long?

H.

Latest posts

Back