Anyone built a coracle?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hallelujahal

Established Member
Reaction score
Having a mad day thinking up how to build a coracle… traditional basket weave or curved wooden frame? Anyone out there built one?
Alex

I'm in Carmarthenshire and there is a huge history here with coracles. Try joining an online group as there are a few self builds within them. I believe there is a FB Carmarthen coracle group that is fairly active.

By unimaginable co-incidence, having not though about coracles for decades, I was looking at the Dartington Trust website and chanced on their coracle making course. It does say you can use cotton canvas + pitch for the skin rather a beast with a waterproof hide.

Wondering if I might treat myself if they run it in 2022, as a 70th birthday present - never been on any craft or similar course before.

Anyway, I can't help with your question but the words and pictures on their website might be interesting. They mention one years membertship of the coracle society - who knew that existed: maybe they have a website.

https://www.dartington.org/event/build-your-own-coracle/

By unimaginable co-incidence, having not though about coracles for decades, I was looking at the Dartington Trust website and chanced on their coracle making course. It does say you can use cotton canvas + pitch for the skin rather a beast with a waterproof hide.

Wondering if I might treat myself if they run it in 2022, as a 70th birthday present - never been on any craft or similar course before.

Anyway, I can't help with your question but the words and pictures on their website might be interesting. They mention one years membertship of the coracle society - who knew that existed: maybe they have a website.

https://www.dartington.org/event/build-your-own-coracle/
That looks great! 👍

I'm in Carmarthenshire and there is a huge history here with coracles. Try joining an online group as there are a few self builds within them. I believe there is a FB Carmarthen coracle group that is fairly active.
Lived in Swansea, Ammanford and Carmarthen at various times, though actually I’m a ‘gog’ and hail from north Wales originally. Currently in exile 🤪

Having a mad day thinking up how to build a coracle… traditional basket weave or curved wooden frame? Anyone out there built one?
Alex
Yes! Did a weekend course about 20 years ago. It was pretty easy to make. But could I sail the b*gger? Could I heck. The most unstable thing in the world. Gave it to a canoe club in the end 😂

Back