Anybody worked with Accoya?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James-1986

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a project coming up soon, almost ready to start doing the ROD's but I am still unsure about what timber to use and I've been wanting to have a go with Accoya.

The finished item will be painted, but exposed to the weather constantly. It involves a lot of delicate glazing bars, scribing and small moldings.

I know Accoya is 'treated' pine, but how well does it work? What sort of grade would you say it is? Obviously the durability and ease of working is worthless if it is like a piece of whitewood from B&Q.

I'd like to do it from something like redwood just because a decent grade is so nice to work with for this kind of project, however I don't think it would last very long.

Recently spent a lot of time with a man who uses it continuously. he swears by it. if you read up on it i think you will find that it is fit for purpose. experiment with your glue is my advice. HTH. all the best rob

Thanks for the input :)

I've asked a fair few other people in the trade and so far all I have got is blank looks. I guess I'll just have to buy a few boards and go for it.

Hi, I have been using accoya for about 3 years now, and use it for all our exterior joinery. It machines extremely well, and have made loads of sash lights with it with 3/4 inch wide bars. Great thing is it doesn't move at all, so you never have to go back and ease anything

I Just today had a meeting with Mike Lewis from accys regarding accoya, he is a technical support manager and ex joinery, very enthusiastic about timber/joinery and a joy to share an hour with going over the timber properties, workablity and advantages. left me with a few samples and a lot of info to pass onto potential clients, all FOC and further marketing help available should i require (said the marketing dept could even make a website for me.....) and what a fantastic product. Just as exciting to me is the tricoya. He says some companies use a single piece of tricoya in a flb door and groove it to look like match boarding and there is zero movement.

Seriously cool Stuff IMO. Imagine Bifold doors with no movement guys, and extended coating lifetime...

If anyone is interested in using the product for marketing there joinery ill happily pass on Mikes Nmber.

That reminds me, I've had a sample of the tricoya (treated MDF) sat in a pot of water for the last 2 months. I'll have to check it out today to see what happened to it. Expensive at £80 a sheet though, but if the application is right it could work.

Latest posts

Back