anybody seen this ? rutland dakota powered router table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac1012

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/workshop-&-po ... adjustment

saw this and looks interesting been after small router table and this woud fit the bill in my limited space and solves the issue of either having to change from freehand to table or buy a second router 1500 w motor it has a good review apart from changing cutter being fiddly

on offer at moment introductory offer

mark

I dont have that model but have the Woodstar Cheepo version and whilst I say it is ok for small works , it is absolutely rubbish with raised panel cutters even though it says it can cope .

The first thing I noticed is the amount of debris / dust that fell straight in to the machine . mine was enclosed sides / front / bottom . I ended up taking off the front and rear and base panel so the debris falls to the table and also allows better ventilation to the motor which is just a cheap hand held router modified to mount to a raising platform , which is very crude and needs constant tightning .

I would not call it a purpose built machine but more of a collection of poor engineering .The only good thing going for it is that the top is cast and not pressed . But I did end up making a whole new fence as the original was pathetic and inaccurate .

I personaly would go down the route of building your own . i have since started making one in full . TREND T11 , TREND router insert , and resin ply .

I dont want to sound negative but if you are doing beads and small work fine but if you fancy doing anything with a cutter bigger than a sowing needle it will shake itself to death , as my first one did and took it back and got it changed .

Kind regards Sam

Get a triton router and a phenolic plate and make your own, the triton has built in rack and pinion gearing so you can adjust it from above by simply drilling a small hole in the table and using the crank that comes with the router.

thanks but dont want to make my own,

i only do small amount of profiling on my small clocks so seems as it may fit the bill for me possibly , i like the dakota router table they do for 100 pound and i was going to fit a base model triton as i have its middle brother that would be just over 200 in total i bit tight on space in my work shop with several other macines in there

was concrened about the metal table noise think it one of those things where some will hate it and some will love it

i kind of hoped with it being dakota it may be ok as there other stuff seems to get favourable reviews

not sure it fair to compare with woodstar although some components seem the same personally i wouldnt touch their stuff with a barge pole :shock:

mark

Evening Mark
Wasnt trying to directly compare the items but both triton and woodstar both market the same bobbin sander , just different labels and different prices .

What I was trying to aim at was , what will you get for a hundred quid . If you look at a cheap 1/2" router £50 and then add in a table etc , you are not going to get much .

I only bought the woodstar for doing small beadings and little jobs to save setting the spindle up , and it is fine for that , much like what you want to achieve but struggles with bigger cutters .

Kind regards Sam

Back