Anybody made a chatter tool?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodchips2

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got to turn a load of spinning tops for a local charity event and planned to decorate them with a chatter tool. Has anybody here made one?

I've had a look on the internet and the ideas seem to come mainly from the USA and vary from an old jigsaw blade held in a Mole wrench to quite complicated affairs with bits of tubing, coach screws and fancy collars.

My first thoughts are a wooden handle with a brass ferrule and the shouldered end in the ferrule slotted to take the jigsaw blade with a grub screw to hold the blade in place. However I wondered if this would actually 'chatter'?

Grateful for any ideas.

Regards Keith

Keith,

I use a chatter tool quite a lot, I just used and old handle with ferule and hammers in a jigsaw blade.

I use it in the Skew quick top vid. that I put on here, but here's the u-tube link anyway http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bpoQemuMOs , hope it helps. I leave about 1 to 1 1/2" sticking out and round it off. Be careful as jigsaw blades can snap easily at the grinder. I use it at about 8 o'clock on the end grain.

Leo

Leo":yj2z665o said:
Keith,

I use a chatter tool quite a lot, I just used and old handle with ferule and hammers in a jigsaw blade.

I use it in the Skew quick top vid. that I put on here, but here's the u-tube link anyway http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bpoQemuMOs , hope it helps. I leave about 1 to 1 1/2" sticking out and round it off. Be careful as jigsaw blades can snap easily at the grinder. I use it at about 8 o'clock on the end grain.

Leo

Hi Leo,
What time do you use your chatter tool on side grain :lol:

Dave

I always wait until 8 o'clock, any earlier and I get complaints from she who must be obeyed. (hammer) ....and I can here my jigsaw talking all of the time, but I always have these noises and voices :shock: , sorry must get more meds. :cry:

Made a chatter tool a time ago, used old blades of a jig saw, see pictures.
Works great.
Ad
100_2087.jpg

100_2088.jpg

oak lidded box.jpg

Attachments

• 100_2087.jpg
    100_2087.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 1,127
  • 100_2088.jpg
    100_2088.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 1,127
  • oak lidded box.jpg
    oak lidded box.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 1,127
Leo":1oxo1it0 said:
Keith,

Leo
Thanks Leo. I've watched your video a couple of times and congratulate you on your skew skills. I use a round skew most of the time because I learnt most of my turning from a Gary Rance DVD and he favours the round skew. I'll try making a chatter tool as you suggest.

Regards Keith

Ad de Crom":otgf3bk8 said:
Made a chatter tool a time ago, used old blades of a jig saw, see pictures.
Works great.
Ad
View attachment 100
View attachment 100
Thanks Ad. I guess you need a metal-turning lathe to make this design but I like the metal shaft so you have something firm on the tool-rest. The results on the lid look good.
Regards Keith

Just a thought - if you have an old pad/keyhole saw, that might be an easy way to hold a jigsaw blade for experimenting?

Now, where did I see that one lying around in the 'shop?

dickm":3ltdz1a2 said:
Just a thought - if you have an old pad/keyhole saw, that might be an easy way to hold a jigsaw blade for experimenting?

Now, where did I see that one lying around in the 'shop?
That's a good idea Dick which I tried this evening with reasonable success on a piece of teak. Practised first on pine but this was too soft to get an even pattern.
Regards Keith

Back